TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Passport control before Checkin (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=3264)

Miss L. Toe March 16th, 2004 11:44 AM

Passport control before Checkin

I went through CDG T2 yesterday and couldn't find the checkin desks !!

It turned out they were AFTER passport control.
I have been to a few airports where my ticket was checked before I had
access to the building, but none where my ID was also checked. Is this
unique ?

It also said on the passport/id booth that you needed to show your ID and
ticket or e-ticket Itenerary - does this mean you can't get away with just
carrying the booking reference number ? (Ok I know its a good idea to carry
printouts, but what if you lose them).

AJC March 16th, 2004 12:05 PM

Passport control before Checkin

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:44:41 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

I went through CDG T2 yesterday and couldn't find the checkin desks !!

It turned out they were AFTER passport control.
I have been to a few airports where my ticket was checked before I had
access to the building, but none where my ID was also checked. Is this
unique ?

Were you flying back to the UK? I can think of a few similar
situations, but not for a simple intra-European flight. I have been to
some Asian airports where one's passport, ticket, and baggage are
checked at the terminal door, before you get anywhere near the
check-in desks. Of course it is fairly common now with high risk
airlines, such as US carriers, that a security interview including
document check takes place before check-in.

It also said on the passport/id booth that you needed to show your ID and
ticket or e-ticket Itenerary - does this mean you can't get away with just
carrying the booking reference number ? (Ok I know its a good idea to carry
printouts, but what if you lose them).

--==++AJC++==--

Miss L. Toe March 16th, 2004 12:09 PM

wrote:

I went through CDG T2 yesterday and couldn't find the checkin desks !!

It turned out they were AFTER passport control.
I have been to a few airports where my ticket was checked before I had
access to the building, but none where my ID was also checked. Is this
unique ?

Were you flying back to the UK? I can think of a few similar
situations, but not for a simple intra-European flight. I have been to
some Asian airports where one's passport, ticket, and baggage are
checked at the terminal door, before you get anywhere near the
check-in desks. Of course it is fairly common now with high risk
airlines, such as US carriers, that a security interview including
document check takes place before check-in.

Yes, a simple BA flight CDG-LGW.

Miss L. Toe March 16th, 2004 12:12 PM

Passport control before Checkin

Yes, a simple BA flight CDG-LGW.

Oh BTW, my AA account has been credited with 48 miles for the outbound trip
(+77 bonus miles) very strange. (the return hasnt appeared yet).

Not the Karl Orff March 16th, 2004 03:18 PM

Passport control before Checkin

In article ,
"Miss L. Toe" wrote:

Yes, a simple BA flight CDG-LGW.

Oh BTW, my AA account has been credited with 48 miles for the outbound trip
(+77 bonus miles) very strange. (the return hasnt appeared yet).

Just 125 miles? No 48 miles + 452 mile bonus? That would mean AA is
really just giving 25% miles for cheap BA flights. No 500 mile minimum.

Miss L. Toe March 16th, 2004 04:05 PM

Passport control before Checkin

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
"Miss L. Toe" wrote:

Yes, a simple BA flight CDG-LGW.

Oh BTW, my AA account has been credited with 48 miles for the outbound

trip
(+77 bonus miles) very strange. (the return hasnt appeared yet).

Just 125 miles? No 48 miles + 452 mile bonus? That would mean AA is
really just giving 25% miles for cheap BA flights. No 500 mile minimum.

Yes, I only expected 125 - they changed policy recently - But the flight
does count towards status, and I did get 500 qualifing points as well.

I don't understand where the 48 miles comes from.

Not the Karl Orff March 16th, 2004 05:09 PM

"Miss L. Toe" wrote:

Yes, I only expected 125 - they changed policy recently - But the flight
does count towards status, and I did get 500 qualifing points as well.

After the change last year, some people flying BA still earned a minimum
of 500 in their AA accounts. So it must be relatively recent?

I don't understand where the 48 miles comes from.

CDG-LGW = 191 miles. 25% of this is 48 with rounding. The rest is to
rbing you up to the new presumably 125 mile minimum on BA.

PTRAVEL March 16th, 2004 06:06 PM

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
I went through CDG T2 yesterday and couldn't find the checkin desks !!

It turned out they were AFTER passport control.
I have been to a few airports where my ticket was checked before I had
access to the building, but none where my ID was also checked. Is this
unique ?

It also said on the passport/id booth that you needed to show your ID and
ticket or e-ticket Itenerary - does this mean you can't get away with just
carrying the booking reference number ? (Ok I know its a good idea to

carry
printouts, but what if you lose them).

In Barcelona a couple of months ago, you needed to show a passport to get to
check-in for American flag carriers, but actual passport control was after
check in. I wonder if this is a new trend?

Roland Perry March 16th, 2004 09:19 PM

Passport control before Checkin

In message , Miss L. Toe
writes
I have been to a few airports where my ticket was checked before I had
access to the building, but none where my ID was also checked. Is this
unique ?

That seemed to be standard practice at Tokyo a couple of years ago.
Roadblock on the approaches to the terminal, police asking for passports
for everyone. I was on a bus, maybe there's another way to get there by
car.
--
Roland Perry

Miss L. Toe March 17th, 2004 09:03 AM

"Hilary" wrote in message
It also said on the passport/id booth that you needed to show your ID

and
ticket or e-ticket Itenerary - does this mean you can't get away with

just
carrying the booking reference number ? (Ok I know its a good idea to

carry
printouts, but what if you lose them).

Many carriers are now requiring you to carry the e-ticket itinerary. I
have been told that in some airports you need to show the itinerary to get
through security.

So does this mean that the e-ticket move is nothing more than a move away
from relatively difficult to forge 'tickets' to easy to forge 'tickets' ?