TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   US going metric? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18097)

jj January 4th, 2004 11:04 PM

US going metric?

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

fishman January 4th, 2004 11:12 PM

US going metric?

"jj" wrote in message
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

Astronomer Carl Sagan (billions upon billions of stars in the cosmos....)
was one of the biggest proponents in the 70's and 80's but it never took
off. It's rather a non-issue among the general population. Metric and
metric conversion are taught in public schools, for what it's worth.

Chris

JamesStep January 4th, 2004 11:29 PM

US going metric?

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt
at going metric in the US? e.g. using Celsius?
How do people feel about it?

Metric is widely used in scientific and engineering
situations, in manufacturing, etc., but for everyday
uses (such as temperature) most folks stick with
the system they grew up with.

Often there is dual labelling. For example, a can of
Pepsi will list both ounces and mL; car speedometers
give both miles per hour and kilometers per hour
(although miles is in much bigger type).

I doubt if we'll see much of a push from politicians to
mandate metric for everyday use, as it woulnd't be
popular with the general public. But I think folks are
gradually becoming more comfortable with metric
and we'll see a gradual changeover, although it may
take decades.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-

Dan Foster January 4th, 2004 11:36 PM

US going metric?

In article , jj wrote:
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

Well, there was an aborted attempt in the late 1980s/early 1990s for the
highway signs; what killed it was a lack of funding to do the conversion
fully due to some political lobbying by well heeled folks. The complaint
from businesses can be generally summarised as being 'it's going to be
prohibitively expensive'... well, the Canadians seemed to do ok on the
whole with their own conversion not too long before that...

I believe there's been several other attempts to convert the country into
the metric system over the years, but significant opposition in the right
spots managed to kill that idea completely.

Some industries may already be using partial or completely metric
measurements; U.S. aviation is used to some aspects of the metric system.

For instance, all aviation weather reports are given out in degrees
Celsius, and most folks are used to barometric pressure in either inches of
mercury or millibars. For instance, a barometric altimeter pressure setting
of 29.92 inches of mercury is equivalent to 1013 millibars. Then there's
science, which commonly deals with metric units.

In my high school honor physics course (years ago), the first day was an
immediate introduction (or review, for the experienced) of the metric
system which was firmly adhered to for the entire year of class.

To this day, I still remember the gravitational "constant" 'g' was 9.80465
m/s^2 at the precise location where the high school was. Since the textbook
assumed 9.81 m/s^2 for 'g', we went by that for the textbook exercises.

I can't speak for others, but it wouldn't really bother me a whole lot; I'm
already used to dealing with metric units with others such as Canadians,
Europeans, etc... and regularly visit Canada and other spots in the world.

I'd guess the split between acceptance and rejection would probably lie
partially on age grounds; young(er) people seems to be more flexible in way
of thinking whereas someone older (like the folks passing the laws or
budget) might be less so inclined. And in this country, if you have
sufficient amount of money, you can usually get favo(u)rable laws passed
(or shot down)...

In my case, there'd be a slight adjustment since I'm a little shaky with
metric conversion at the really small level because I don't yet easily
visualise the magnitude, but a little time and practice usually takes care
of that.

-Dan

Henry January 5th, 2004 12:01 AM

US going metric?

jj wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

In the early '70s, there were some Joint Resolutions which said,
basically, that the US should begin thinking about getting ready to
prepare for the possibility of considering a change to the metric
system. In the mid '70s I worked a job in a place that had international
sales and in light of the supposed atmosphere of metrification that was
spreading across the land I made a remark one day about the firm's units
of measurement. The foreman just about jumped down my throat. 'Why
should WE change?!?' he demanded. 'We're number one! Let the rest of
those countries [sic] change to OUR way!'

And in my firm, as in America generally, that was that.

cheers,

Henry

RJ January 5th, 2004 12:33 AM

US going metric?

Dan Foster wrote:

Well, there was an aborted attempt in the late 1980s/early 1990s for the
highway signs; what killed it was a lack of funding to do the conversion
fully due to some political lobbying by well heeled folks.

Why would anybody lobby on either side of the issue of road signs?

Road signs would have to be the least important aspect of using metric
measurement in any case.

iaink January 5th, 2004 01:39 AM

US going metric?

Originally posted by Rj

Why would anybody lobby on either side of the issue of road signs?

Road signs would have to be the least important aspect of using metric

measurement in any case.

Erm, not if you are driving along and you see a sign for "60", but dont
see the small print at the bottom as you whizz by.

In this hypothetical example, some of the signs across the nation have
been changed to kmh, some are still mph, how fast should you be going?

Changing all the signs at once would cost a lot of $$$, and requires a
lot of political will, not to mention the logistical issues, so on a
practical level, road signs would be a big issue. Not that there is a
hope in hell of the US adopting the metric system anyway.

my 2c

Iain

Me January 5th, 2004 02:37 AM

US going metric?

In article ,
"jj" wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

I believe there was a half-hearted attempt to go metric in the '70's.
Other than for scientific purposes, I don't ever expect the United
States to officially adopt the metric system, although it would
definitely benefit from doing so.

Bill January 5th, 2004 04:07 AM

US going metric?

"jj" wrote in message
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

Back in the 70's they took some early steps with some highway signs in KM's.
That didn't last. Basically Americans like what's familiar.

To me it would make sense for weights and distances. But, sorry, but for
air temperature, Fahrenheit makes so much more sense, with zero to 100 being
about the range of temps we see in a the northern US. Yeah, some places go
below zero, and some go above 100. But it is so much more informative than
the much more limited range on the Celsius scale. Celsius makes more sense
for scientific work though.

Scientists in the US do use only metric.

alohacyberian January 5th, 2004 05:16 AM

US going metric?

"RJ" wrote in message
Dan Foster wrote:
Well, there was an aborted attempt in the late 1980s/early 1990s for the
highway signs; what killed it was a lack of funding to do the conversion
fully due to some political lobbying by well heeled folks.

Why would anybody lobby on either side of the issue of road signs?

Road signs would have to be the least important aspect of using metric
measurement in any case.

Well, if a road sign were to read "Gotham 167 kilometers" and American
speedometers, odometers, fuel consumption computers and trip computers are
all in miles, some people might feel more comfortable with the old system. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

"Bill" wrote in message
"jj" wrote in message
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

Back in the 70's they took some early steps with some highway signs in

KM's.
That didn't last. Basically Americans like what's familiar.

To me it would make sense for weights and distances. But, sorry, but for
air temperature, Fahrenheit makes so much more sense, with zero to 100

being
about the range of temps we see in a the northern US. Yeah, some places

go
below zero, and some go above 100. But it is so much more informative than
the much more limited range on the Celsius scale. Celsius makes more sense
for scientific work though.

The ease and convenience with the metric system is far superior to the
hodgepodge used in the United States, though I agree that the use of
Fahrenheit and feet instead of celsius temperatures and meters offers much
more exact measurements and I think for that reason most Americans will
prefer the current sytem over metric for a long, long time. And I think
Americans by and large prefer miles to kilometers for distance, though
personally, I think kilometers are probably a better way to measure distance,
but don't expect most Americans to agree with me. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect
to CNN news, NBA, the White House, Academy Awards or learn all
about Hawaii, Israel and mo http://keith.martin.home.att.net/

Hatunen January 5th, 2004 05:20 AM

US going metric?

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:39:25 +0000, iaink
wrote:

Changing all the signs at once would cost a lot of $$$, and requires a
lot of political will, not to mention the logistical issues, so on a
practical level, road signs would be a big issue. Not that there is a
hope in hell of the US adopting the metric system anyway.

I believe I-19 from 'Tucson to Mexico is the only metric
interstate in the country. All distances and "mileposts" are
metric, so that even the interchange numbers (based on the
"milepost") are the kilometers from the southern end instead of
miles. On the streets and roads that interchange with I-19 the
approach sings are metric, e.g., "I-19 500 meters."

But the speed limit signs are in miles per hour, and I would
expect this to be because the statutory speed limits are in miles
per hour.

Hatunen January 5th, 2004 05:27 AM

US going metric?

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:37:34 -0500, Me wrote:

In article ,
"jj" wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

I believe there was a half-hearted attempt to go metric in the '70's.
Other than for scientific purposes, I don't ever expect the United
States to officially adopt the metric system, although it would
definitely benefit from doing so.

The United States officially adopted the metric system in the
late 19th century, and ever since then our units have been
defined in terms of the metric units. What the United States
didn't do was mandate its usage by the public. As a de facto
matter, though, almost any industry or business that operates
internationally has converted to metric; I believe even cars made
by the American manufacturers are actully metric these days. For
the most part only everyday things retain the English system,
such as speedometers, milk jugs and such. I can't say liquor and
wine bottles, since they are metric anyway. But even those items
which are nominally English/American units, such as the 12 ounce
soda cans also carry the content in ml as well. Even potato chip
(crisps) bags have the metric conversion from the content in
ounces.

florian January 5th, 2004 05:35 AM

US going metric?

"jj" wrote in message ...
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

Hi! I was born in "Celsius" European country, now living in San
Francisco Bay area. I like western USA, but in my opinion half
population (Asians, south and central Americans) + thousands tourists
and international busisnessmen in San Francisco area don`t know the
fahrenhait scale. Weather in local TV news and in newspapers is in
fahrenhait only. Where is problem in TV or newspapers to write 90F/32C
or 82F/28C or 54F/12C ? I don`t know. I even complained to local TV
station and had nice answer, but they don`t plan to change.

Miles January 5th, 2004 05:57 AM

US going metric?

florian wrote:
Hi! I was born in "Celsius" European country, now living in San
Francisco Bay area. I like western USA, but in my opinion half
population (Asians, south and central Americans) + thousands tourists
and international busisnessmen in San Francisco area don`t know the
fahrenhait scale. Weather in local TV news and in newspapers is in
fahrenhait only. Where is problem in TV or newspapers to write 90F/32C
or 82F/28C or 54F/12C ? I don`t know. I even complained to local TV
station and had nice answer, but they don`t plan to change.

Probably the same reason I rarely see Fahrenheit mentioned on weather
news when traveling to much of Europe.

Evelyn C. Leeper January 5th, 2004 06:21 AM

US going metric?

Me wrote:

In article ,
"jj" wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

I believe there was a half-hearted attempt to go metric in the '70's.
Other than for scientific purposes, I don't ever expect the United
States to officially adopt the metric system, although it would
definitely benefit from doing so.

About the only effect of the 1970s effort is the two-liter soda bottle.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper

Richard January 5th, 2004 06:29 AM

US going metric?

On 4 Jan 2004 21:35:41 -0800, (florian) wrote:

"jj" wrote in message ...
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

Hi! I was born in "Celsius" European country, now living in San
Francisco Bay area. I like western USA, but in my opinion half
population (Asians, south and central Americans) + thousands tourists
and international busisnessmen in San Francisco area don`t know the
fahrenhait scale. Weather in local TV news and in newspapers is in
fahrenhait only. Where is problem in TV or newspapers to write 90F/32C
or 82F/28C or 54F/12C ? I don`t know. I even complained to local TV
station and had nice answer, but they don`t plan to change.

KVOS based in Bellingham (near Vancouver) quote the temperatures for
U.S. towns in Fahrenheit and Canadian towns in Celsius (I suspect
quite a large proportion of their viewers are Canadian)

Richard January 5th, 2004 06:35 AM

US going metric?

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:07:46 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

"jj" wrote in message
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

Back in the 70's they took some early steps with some highway signs in KM's.
That didn't last. Basically Americans like what's familiar.

To me it would make sense for weights and distances. But, sorry, but for
air temperature, Fahrenheit makes so much more sense, with zero to 100 being
about the range of temps we see in a the northern US. Yeah, some places go
below zero, and some go above 100. But it is so much more informative than
the much more limited range on the Celsius scale. Celsius makes more sense
for scientific work though.

Scientists in the US do use only metric.

I grew up in U.K. during the time that they switched from fahrenheit
to Celsius (via centigrade). Having used both systems I find the
Celsius much better. I think that this will depend upon the
temperature range where you live. In more temperate climates, the
nice round 0 when it is going to be freezing has a nice ring to it,
but when it is below freezing for 3 months in a row that doesn't help
much.

In practice I think that people would fairly quick get use to
whichever system is used, not that it will change any time soon.

Of course the U.K. is even more mixed up when it comes to the use of
imperial / metric. All large distances are miles, but many younger
(and not so young) people use metres for shorter distances. Pounds
(and stones) are common for your own weight, but kilograms for most
other weights

alohacyberian January 5th, 2004 06:57 AM

US going metric?

"iaink" wrote in message
Why would anybody lobby on either side of the issue of road signs?

Road signs would have to be the least important aspect of using metric

measurement in any case.

Erm, not if you are driving along and you see a sign for "60", but dont
see the small print at the bottom as you whizz by.

In this hypothetical example, some of the signs across the nation have
been changed to kmh, some are still mph, how fast should you be going?

Changing all the signs at once would cost a lot of $$$, and requires a
lot of political will, not to mention the logistical issues, so on a
practical level, road signs would be a big issue. Not that there is a
hope in hell of the US adopting the metric system anyway.
Iain

Good points. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect
to CNN news, NBA, the White House, Academy Awards or learn all
about Hawaii, Israel and mo http://keith.martin.home.att.net/

alohacyberian January 5th, 2004 06:57 AM

US going metric?

"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote in message
t...
Me wrote:
In article ,
I believe there was a half-hearted attempt to go metric in the '70's.
Other than for scientific purposes, I don't ever expect the United
States to officially adopt the metric system, although it would
definitely benefit from doing so.

About the only effect of the 1970s effort is the two-liter soda bottle.

Also the displacement of automobile engines changed from cubic inches to
liters. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect
to CNN news, NBA, the White House, Academy Awards or learn all
about Hawaii, Israel and mo http://keith.martin.home.att.net/

TNSAF January 5th, 2004 07:06 AM

US going metric?

"jj" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, even have an office in Vancouver and draw Canadian advertising... I
would bet there biggest audience is on the Canadian side (Vancouver and
Victoria)!

Mike O'sullivan January 5th, 2004 09:07 AM

US going metric?

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"jj" wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

I believe there was a half-hearted attempt to go metric in the '70's.
Other than for scientific purposes, I don't ever expect the United
States to officially adopt the metric system, although it would
definitely benefit from doing so.

Except for the currency of course. US was one of the first.

Mark Hewitt January 5th, 2004 09:43 AM

US going metric?

"Henry" wrote in message
jj wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

In the early '70s, there were some Joint Resolutions which said,
basically, that the US should begin thinking about getting ready to
prepare for the possibility of considering a change to the metric
system. In the mid '70s I worked a job in a place that had international
sales and in light of the supposed atmosphere of metrification that was
spreading across the land I made a remark one day about the firm's units
of measurement. The foreman just about jumped down my throat. 'Why
should WE change?!?' he demanded. 'We're number one! Let the rest of
those countries [sic] change to OUR way!'

And why not, I suppose! Americans can do their thing, just as long as they
don't expect everyone else to follow. On the whole they haven't. America has
different standards to the rest of the world for many things, measurments,
mobile phones etc.

Personally, living in the UK they've been trying to introduce metric here
for decades, and it's largely suceeded. However there are still many shops
selling fruit etc by the pound, even though it's actually illegal, they get
away with it. My view is that it isn't because of what customers want,
rather than if they price in KG their prices would look a lot higher!

The best situation, IMO is to have one system or another. In the US they
seem to have decided on imperial measurments, which is good. Unlike here
were we have a mishmash of both.

Mark Hewitt January 5th, 2004 09:51 AM

US going metric?

"Bill" wrote in message

Back in the 70's they took some early steps with some highway signs in

KM's.
That didn't last. Basically Americans like what's familiar.

With all the drive to metricate in the UK. It has always been said that the
roads would never change. Distance will always be in miles and speeds in
mph.

Perhaps they didn't like the Irish example where distances are now all in km
but speed limit signs are in mph!

To me it would make sense for weights and distances. But, sorry, but for
air temperature, Fahrenheit makes so much more sense, with zero to 100

being
about the range of temps we see in a the northern US. Yeah, some places

go
below zero, and some go above 100. But it is so much more informative

than
the much more limited range on the Celsius scale. Celsius makes more

sense
for scientific work though.

Scientists in the US do use only metric.

Each to their own, I guess it's what you are used to. But I find the
fahrenheit scale makes no sense at all! Zero for freezing, one hundred for
boiling point. Makes much more sense than 32 for the freezing point!

And another point not related to your post. I usually see Americans calling
the system of measurment English, as opposed to Metric. Well we mostly don't
use that system so much so it's not 'English' any more, the correct term is
Imperial.

jj January 5th, 2004 01:24 PM

US going metric?

what about high school math/science? would kids be taught in Metric
measurements? Would most young people know how big a metre, or a kilogram
is?

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"jj" wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

I believe there was a half-hearted attempt to go metric in the '70's.
Other than for scientific purposes, I don't ever expect the United
States to officially adopt the metric system, although it would
definitely benefit from doing so.

Miles January 5th, 2004 01:35 PM

US going metric?

jj wrote:
what about high school math/science? would kids be taught in Metric
measurements? Would most young people know how big a metre, or a kilogram
is?

I was taught the metric system in the USA in the 70's. I believe they
still teach both. Consumer markets still use the old system but I work
in engineering and use both about equally.

B Vaughan January 5th, 2004 01:38 PM

US going metric?

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:04:25 -0000, "jj" wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US? e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

When my kids were in elementary school, about 20 years ago, they were
given intensive education in the metric system, with the thought that
the US might be going metric by the time they were grown. It kind of
fizzled out. It's really difficult to motivate such a large country to
change anything as major as this. You know, the bigger the mass, the
greater the inertia.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

fishman January 5th, 2004 01:39 PM

US going metric?

"jj" wrote in message
what about high school math/science? would kids be taught in Metric
measurements? Would most young people know how big a metre, or a kilogram
is?

Of course they are exposed to it - a meter is a little more than a yard, a
kilometer is about half a mile and a liter is about a quart. That's about
all they remember unless they got into a science that required it or had a
teacher who loved to instill metric.

Chris

Dan Foster January 5th, 2004 01:44 PM

US going metric?

In article , jj wrote:
what about high school math/science? would kids be taught in Metric
measurements? Would most young people know how big a metre, or a kilogram
is?

In physics, it was. Even for general science in the 7th grade, the metric
system was taught as units of measurement and was practised consistently
throughout the entire year. It is possible it is taught in earlier grades
elsewhere. (Note: I am speaking of a public school education; it _may_ be
different or better with private schools.)

I don't recall any math courses up to the early 1990s having ever used the
metric system -- and I've been to at least 10+ different schools -- which
is likely a reflection on the curriculum standards adopted by the local
board of education with an eye toward usability in one's immediate
surroundings (city, state, country).

With the more advanced math courses, things tend to become
unit-independent in explaining the theory and derivation, such as calculus.
Specific application of that for locally used units is left as an exercise
for the reader, so to speak.

If you asked the average metric-familiar person on the street for specific
dimensions in metres (or other forms of measurements in the metric system),
they might have to think for a few moments or find conversion factors, but
they would likely eventually come to an answer within the general vicinty,
or even exactly right.

Of course, I should mention that I don't really have a good idea of how
many people are familiar or comfortable with the metric system in the U.S.
So I only speak of these who *do* know something about the metric system.

I could certainly give you reasonably acceptable answers if it involves
meters, kilometers, kph, litres, degrees celsius (centigrade), kilograms,
or some such... it's just the really small units that I can roughly guess
the magnitude of but need a little more time to make a more accurate guess
on the conversion. Given a little time to look up the conversion factors, I
can give you a perfect answer every single time :-)

-Dan

[email protected] January 5th, 2004 01:58 PM

US going metric?

Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Henry" wrote in message
jj wrote:

[...]

That confused the heck out of me when I was in England. I can do metric
and I can do imperial, but both was very confusing. Between that and money
conversion, the whole trip was one constant math problem.

Manda

Steve Cain January 5th, 2004 02:12 PM

US going metric?

"Mike O'sullivan" wrote in message

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"jj" wrote:

I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

I believe there was a half-hearted attempt to go metric in the '70's.
Other than for scientific purposes, I don't ever expect the United
States to officially adopt the metric system, although it would
definitely benefit from doing so.

Except for the currency of course. US was one of the first.

Your "quarters" worth? Ah, the decimal fraction. Actually the 70's changed
the face of high school and university track and field forever....ah, er
perhaps the track and not so much the field. Interesting. s

Evelyn C. Leeper January 5th, 2004 02:35 PM

US going metric?

Mark Hewitt wrote:

Personally, living in the UK they've been trying to introduce metric here
for decades, and it's largely suceeded. However there are still many shops
selling fruit etc by the pound, even though it's actually illegal, they get
away with it. My view is that it isn't because of what customers want,
rather than if they price in KG their prices would look a lot higher!

Also, beer is still sold in pints.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper
Loyalty to petrified opinion never broke a chain
or freed a human soul. --Mark Twain

me January 5th, 2004 03:28 PM

US going metric?

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message ...
[snip][
Each to their own, I guess it's what you are used to. But I find the
fahrenheit scale makes no sense at all! Zero for freezing, one hundred for
boiling point. Makes much more sense than 32 for the freezing point!

I do understand the desire to have the freezing point of water to
be zero, but in practicaly reality it is fairly meaningless number.
40F is considered the "danger point" around here for opening up emergency
shelters for the homeless (higher if it's raining). We get frost
warnings for anything below about 36F. Most freezers are around 20F
(I heard the poultry industry considers "fresh" meat to be anything
never stored below 20F as well).

Alternately, 100C/212F isn't fairly useful either. Once you
start to get over 95F, it's potentially dangerous to many folks.
Water much below 80F will be considered "cool" to a bather, and
it has to get below about 60 before most drinkers will consider it
"cool". The typical fridge is about 40F. Truth is, boiling point
of water, or anything else really, is a strong function of absolute
content and atmosphere.

The degree F however is a smaller increment than celcius and
in most of the applications I need the scales for, I prefer that
finer division.

That is generally my complaint about many metric units, they're
just a darn inconvienent size. The centimeter is too small, but
the meter is too large. Feet is nice for alot of what I use
those dimensions for.

I will admit that the kilometer is probably a more convienent
unit than the mile for a whole variety of reasons. The pound is a
nicer size than the kilogram but even that one is messed up which
is why I find myself buying a quarter pound of stuff all the time.
Probably a good defense of the gram.

And another point not related to your post. I usually see Americans calling
the system of measurment English, as opposed to Metric. Well we mostly don't
use that system so much so it's not 'English' any more, the correct term is
Imperial.

Actually, since there is no singular system, there really is no singular
correct name. I see various references to "US Standard", which is kind of
a misnomer since there isn't much of one. I'm sure the commerce department
has rules on all these things though. I'm pretty sure though that no
one is using the imperial system. So they probably aren't referring to
what "you" used.

Hatunen January 5th, 2004 03:41 PM

US going metric?

On 5 Jan 2004 07:28:55 -0800, (me)
wrote:

That is generally my complaint about many metric units, they're
just a darn inconvienent size. The centimeter is too small, but
the meter is too large. Feet is nice for alot of what I use
those dimensions for.

What do you have against the decimeter?

And another point not related to your post. I usually see Americans calling
the system of measurment English, as opposed to Metric. Well we mostly don't
use that system so much so it's not 'English' any more, the correct term is
Imperial.

Actually, since there is no singular system, there really is no singular
correct name. I see various references to "US Standard", which is kind of
a misnomer since there isn't much of one. I'm sure the commerce department
has rules on all these things though. I'm pretty sure though that no
one is using the imperial system. So they probably aren't referring to
what "you" used.

I avoid using Imperial as a name for the US system because of the
differences in liquid measure.

Mark Hewitt January 5th, 2004 03:58 PM

US going metric?

"jj" wrote in message
what about high school math/science? would kids be taught in Metric
measurements? Would most young people know how big a metre, or a kilogram
is?

In the UK I went to school in the 80's and we were taught exclusively in
metric. No mention of imperial measurments whatsoever. In preparation for
coming out of school and the metric system having been introduced. Of course
it didn't happen that way. Everyone was getting taught one system in school
and having to use another in real life.

This was confusing as you might expect. Even now I couldn't really tell you
how many inches in a foot or ounces in a pound etc, I just never learned it,
so it's never stuck.

Dave Smith January 5th, 2004 04:04 PM

US going metric?

alohacyberian wrote:

The ease and convenience with the metric system is far superior to the
hodgepodge used in the United States, though I agree that the use of
Fahrenheit and feet instead of celsius temperatures and meters offers much
more exact measurements and I think for that reason most Americans will
prefer the current sytem over metric for a long, long time. And I think
Americans by and large prefer miles to kilometers for distance, though
personally, I think kilometers are probably a better way to measure distance,
but don't expect most Americans to agree with me. KM

Having worked with metric measurements for the last 26 years, I have to say that
I find it much easier to work with than the Imperial system. While one degree F
may be a finer measurement than one degree C, most people cannot detect the
difference. And when dealing with weather, humidity and wind can distort
temperature sensations so much that they would not be able to tell anyway. I find
it handy to have 0 degrees as the freezing point because it makes a significant
difference to the weather. Anything below that is freezing (water). If people
really want a finer measurement of temperature they can also use half degree C.
(.5).

Let's face it, the Imperial system is confusing. It is so much easier to deal
with units of ten. 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 5,280 feet or 1,760
yards in a mile, 4,480 sq. ft. in an acre, 640 acres in a sq. mile. Where is the
sense in that? It comes as no surprise to me that many of those who are opposed
to converting to metric do not even know most of the Imperial system. They are
unaware of bushels, pecks rods, drams, noggins etc.

The biggest hang-up that people seem to have is in conversation. Once you make
the switch to metric you do not need to convert. You simple measure in metric.
If you are going to a city 60 miles away and the speed limit is 60 mph you do not
have to convert the 60 to (roughly) 100 and the speed to (roughly ) 100 kph. The
city is 100 km. away and doing 100 kph you will be there in an hour. If you
walk outside and the temperature is 0 C, you do not have to convert it to 32F.
It's cold. It's 0 degrees.

fishman January 5th, 2004 04:04 PM

US going metric?

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

This was confusing as you might expect. Even now I couldn't really tell

you
how many inches in a foot or ounces in a pound etc, I just never learned

it,
so it's never stuck.

Don't worry - most kids in the U.S. couldn't tell you that, either, until
they need it for something practical. vbg

Chris

jj January 5th, 2004 05:46 PM

US going metric?

People in the UK still give their weight in "stones" too.

"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote in message
et...
Mark Hewitt wrote:

Personally, living in the UK they've been trying to introduce metric

here
for decades, and it's largely suceeded. However there are still many

shops
selling fruit etc by the pound, even though it's actually illegal, they

get
away with it. My view is that it isn't because of what customers want,
rather than if they price in KG their prices would look a lot higher!

Also, beer is still sold in pints.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper
Loyalty to petrified opinion never broke a chain
or freed a human soul. --Mark Twain

DMW January 5th, 2004 06:22 PM

US going metric?

me wrote:

[...]

22.1°C, 22.2°C, 22.3°C... works for me.

DMW

mary January 5th, 2004 09:00 PM

US going metric?

If I remember correctly there was a movement in the mid 70's to go metric. I
think the reason people in the United States do not like metrics is that
schools spent most of their time teaching how to convert from feet and so
forth to metrics. You end up with unusual number results. If you used
metrics from scratch, it is much easier than the other methods. I learned
metrics in chemistry, and found the system easy.

Tom