TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Australia Dust Storm (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=158640)

blacklight[_2_] September 27th, 2009 02:04 AM

Australia Dust Storm

100km north of Sydney (62 miles). September 23. The water in dog
Rusty's bowl outside is red. My car, usually sort of white, is red
too. The sky is red and the bit of sun filtered through looks like
fire. It's eerie. The eyes itch. Not like feeling a grain in it - this
stuff is much finer. It gets through everything, even my furniture
inside is dusty now.
All flights at Sydney Airport cancelled.
That’s the nuisance bit.
The awful bit is the damage done to the Great Artesian Basin/Central
Australia where the ground has been laid bare. The finest and most
precious particles of the topsoil have been lost. The first estimate:
16 000 tons of topsoil were blown away every hour. It's tragic.
There are some interesting bits about Australian dust storms and their
effect at http://www.oz-greetings.com.au/geolo...ON--DESERT--b-
Just scroll down to ‘Moving Sand’.
Greetings - Klaus and Rusty

Rudy[_1_] September 27th, 2009 07:01 AM

Australia Dust Storm

100km north of Sydney (62 miles). September 23. The water in dog Rusty's
bowl outside is red.

At least its not SMOKE like last year