TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mont Blanc walk (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14387)

pid April 13th, 2004 09:02 AM

Mont Blanc walk

Hi everyone,
I am planning a trip to Chamonix in july with the view to do some day
excursions around the mont blanc area. The problem I have is this:
1) I will be traveling with wife and friends who are not athletically
inclined.
2) If they've found out that the trip turns out to be extremely
strenuous mountaineering exercises, they may never talk to me again
(wife included).

So I am asking for help with the following:
1) Easy, scenic day trips from Chamonix for beginners
2) Must-visit villages/restaurants around this area.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Bernard

Giacomo April 13th, 2004 10:38 AM

Mont Blanc walk

pid wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am planning a trip to Chamonix in july with the view to do some day
excursions around the mont blanc area. The problem I have is this:
1) I will be traveling with wife and friends who are not athletically
inclined.
2) If they've found out that the trip turns out to be extremely
strenuous mountaineering exercises, they may never talk to me again
(wife included).

So I am asking for help with the following:
1) Easy, scenic day trips from Chamonix for beginners

a little train that goes up to "Mare de glace"

2) Must-visit villages/restaurants around this area.

Megeve is very nice (not so Chamonix)

Any advice is much appreciated!

Bernard

Alec April 13th, 2004 10:42 AM

Mont Blanc walk

"pid" wrote in message
m...
Hi everyone,
I am planning a trip to Chamonix in july with the view to do some day
excursions around the mont blanc area. The problem I have is this:
1) I will be traveling with wife and friends who are not athletically
inclined.
2) If they've found out that the trip turns out to be extremely
strenuous mountaineering exercises, they may never talk to me again
(wife included).

So I am asking for help with the following:
1) Easy, scenic day trips from Chamonix for beginners
2) Must-visit villages/restaurants around this area.

Any advice is much appreciated!

If you go to the tourist office in Chamonix (opposite the parish church)
they will sell you a map showing hiking routes in the area. They are graded
and waymarked. Key to getting the most out of the many opportunities is to
make judicious use of the cable car to gain altitude, as you may imagine
some of the ascent in Mont Blanc Valley can be rather steep. One of the
easier walks is to Mer de Glace glacier. You walk up a track following the
route of the cog railway from the station. Takes about 2 hours and I did it
many years ago with young children. The view of the glacier is amazing.
Opposite Mont Blanc Massif is a peak called Le Brevent. Take the cable car
to the top for a grand view, and then get off at the intermediate station on
the way back and walk down part of Balcon du Mont Blanc paths. You'll get
unforgettable views. Make sure you choose a clear day (and check weather
forecast posted in tourist office and cablecar stations).
See http://www.chamonix.net/english/trek/hiking.htm

Alec

Michael April 14th, 2004 12:54 AM

Mont Blanc walk

"pid" wrote in message
m...
Hi everyone,
I am planning a trip to Chamonix in july with the view to do some day
excursions around the mont blanc area. The problem I have is this:
1) I will be traveling with wife and friends who are not athletically
inclined.
2) If they've found out that the trip turns out to be extremely
strenuous mountaineering exercises, they may never talk to me again
(wife included).

So I am asking for help with the following:
1) Easy, scenic day trips from Chamonix for beginners
2) Must-visit villages/restaurants around this area.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Bernard

I went walking in the Chamonix valley last year. As stated by a previous
poster one way of lessening the walking difficulty is to take a cable car up
and walk down. This gets some stunning views etc. for much reduced effort.
However the lower parts of some of the walks are in forest.

Another option is to walk from one cable car terminus to another. This way
you get a more level walk (very few walks will be flat however). If I recall
correctly there are Grand Balcon and Petit Balcon walks on both sides of the
valley - the tourist office will certainly have details.

Chamonix itself is a very "touristy" town - you may think this is an
advantage or a disadvantage.

pid April 14th, 2004 07:23 AM

Mont Blanc walk

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hope this trip works out.
Bernard