TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Safari for solo traveller? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=38281)

ShawnD2112 August 11th, 2004 07:55 AM

Safari for solo traveller?

Hello,
Was hoping for a bit of advice here.
I've just recently become single again but have two weeks off in Sept. Me
and my girlfriend were going to go to Yosemite to go camping and hiking but
I don't really fancy doing that on my own at the moment. I was hoping for
some references to organizations or places that specialize in grouping
singles together for activity holidays. I was thinking along the lines of a
South African safari with a lot of walking and exercise included. I'm not
looking for a dating group or a Hedonism kind of place, just some way to get
away from work for two weeks, have a good holiday and a great experience.

Any pointers in the right direction to find such places/companies? Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Shawn

Hans Martens August 11th, 2004 02:46 PM

Safari for solo traveller?

ShawnD2112 wrote:
Was hoping for a bit of advice here.
I've just recently become single again but have two weeks off in Sept. Me
and my girlfriend were going to go to Yosemite to go camping and hiking but
I don't really fancy doing that on my own at the moment. I was hoping for
some references to organizations or places that specialize in grouping
singles together for activity holidays. I was thinking along the lines of a
South African safari with a lot of walking and exercise included. I'm not
looking for a dating group or a Hedonism kind of place, just some way to get
away from work for two weeks, have a good holiday and a great experience.

Any pointers in the right direction to find such places/companies? Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this company in South Africa: http://www.drifters.com/

They don't specially cater for singles but have mixed groups of young
people. Before I met my wife, I also travelled with them a few times and
had a great time being on my own in a group.

Regards,
Hans

==================================
Hans Martens

Wildlife & Nature Photography
http://www.wildpicture.com
==================================

ShawnD2112 wrote:
[...]

None August 13th, 2004 11:50 PM

Safari for solo traveller?

Traveling in Africa is great fun by yourself. Be willing to sit with
strangers and let them sit with you. It is a very friendly place and you
will meet interesting people at every turn.

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
[...]

Martin Adams September 2nd, 2004 04:57 PM

Maybe try emailing this guy, Carl, he is trying to set up a conservation
thing in South Africa, the website is www.trackafrica.com or just email him
direct, and see what you can sort out. I had a
brilliant safari with him, lots of walking, sleep outs all kinds of good
stuff