TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Alaska Cruise (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=174032)

Earl_Colby_Pottinger October 25th, 2011 08:23 PM

Alaska Cruise

My friend and I booked a 2 week Caribbean cruise with Carnival over
three years ago, every year something has come up in the winter months
causing us to delay it to next winter. Now it looks like there will
be a problem this year too.

Carnival's Alaska trips don't have the same appeals as some of the
other cruise lines (Princess is the one we are looking at now). Does
anyone have reasons to recommend any other lines for the months Jan,
Feb?

We would like to budget less than $2800 per person.

Thanks for any suggestions, even if it is just to stay with Princess.

Brian[_1_] October 26th, 2011 01:09 AM

Alaska Cruise

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:23:18 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger
wrote:

My friend and I booked a 2 week Caribbean cruise with Carnival over
three years ago, every year something has come up in the winter months
causing us to delay it to next winter. Now it looks like there will
be a problem this year too.

Carnival's Alaska trips don't have the same appeals as some of the
other cruise lines (Princess is the one we are looking at now). Does
anyone have reasons to recommend any other lines for the months Jan,
Feb?

We would like to budget less than $2800 per person.

Thanks for any suggestions, even if it is just to stay with Princess.

Are there cruises to Alaska in the winter?

RayC October 26th, 2011 02:27 AM

Alaska Cruise

On 10/25/2011 5:09 PM, Brian wrote:

Are there cruises to Alaska in the winter?

Not with the traditional cruise lines! If you can find something that
time of year, it will most likely be a small ship cruise or a charter.

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++

[email protected] October 28th, 2011 03:25 PM

wrote:

My friend and I booked a 2 week Caribbean cruise with Carnival over
three years ago, every year something has come up in the winter months
causing us to delay it to next winter. Now it looks like there will
be a problem this year too.

Carnival's Alaska trips don't have the same appeals as some of the
other cruise lines (Princess is the one we are looking at now). Does
anyone have reasons to recommend any other lines for the months Jan,
Feb?

We would like to budget less than $2800 per person.

Thanks for any suggestions, even if it is just to stay with Princess.

If you want to go to Alaska, you won't be able to go in Jan-Feb.
That's a spring-summer destination (April to September). There is a
cruise on Crystal (very very expensive) that starts in Australia in
February and gets to Alaska in April but it isn't really in Alaska in
Jan/Feb..

For Alaska the cruise line I would recommend would be Holland
American. They have two week cruises. Carnival only has 7 day
cruises and the longest Princess ones are 10 days. A possible winter
equivalent is a 13 day Fred Olsen cruise to Norway in late February.

In the Jan Feb time frame if you wanted to do a two week cruise that
was less than $2800 a person (I'm considering that you need some time
to get to some of these) there is:
8 day Transatlantic on Cunard from Europe,
an 8 day cruise out of Singapore on RCI,
9-14 day cruises in Australia on RCI, Holland American, and Princess,
14 day cruises to Hawaii on Princess, HAL, Carnival or Cunard
a 12 day trip to the Canary Islands on RCI,
a large number of 9 to 11 day Med cruises on NCL or RCI,
11 or 14 day cruises on Celebrity or HAL out of Ft. Lauderdale or San
Diego to Mexico,
some 11 day cruises to the Middle East on RCI,
a couple of 10 or 11 day cruises on Princess to Tahiti,
and of course many cruises to the Caribbean and South America and
through the Panama Canal.

Bill[_1_] October 29th, 2011 02:28 AM

Alaska Cruise

On 10/28/2011 10:25 AM, wrote:

For Alaska the cruise line I would recommend would be Holland
American. They have two week cruises. Carnival only has 7 day
cruises and the longest Princess ones are 10 days.

That's really only beneficial if you just want to stay on the ship the
whole way and go round trip back to Vancouver (or is it Seattle?).
You're better off doing a cruisetour and taking a one week cruise
combined with 4-7 days on land, so you can see Denali and other sites
the ship can't get to.

Bill

[email protected] October 29th, 2011 04:46 AM

Alaska Cruise

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 21:28:00 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 10/28/2011 10:25 AM, wrote:

For Alaska the cruise line I would recommend would be Holland
American. They have two week cruises. Carnival only has 7 day
cruises and the longest Princess ones are 10 days.

That's really only beneficial if you just want to stay on the ship the
whole way and go round trip back to Vancouver (or is it Seattle?).
You're better off doing a cruisetour and taking a one week cruise
combined with 4-7 days on land, so you can see Denali and other sites
the ship can't get to.

Holland American does go from Seattle to Seattle, but they also go to
Glacier Bay which some other lines do not and they also have cruise
tours if someone wanted to do that.

Peterw October 29th, 2011 11:26 AM

Alaska Cruise

Isn't there a time of the year when Alaska is infested with flies??

wrote:

On 10/28/2011 10:25 AM, wrote:

For Alaska the cruise line I would recommend would be Holland
American. They have two week cruises. Carnival only has 7 day
cruises and the longest Princess ones are 10 days.

That's really only beneficial if you just want to stay on the ship the
whole way and go round trip back to Vancouver (or is it Seattle?).
You're better off doing a cruisetour and taking a one week cruise
combined with 4-7 days on land, so you can see Denali and other sites
the ship can't get to.

Holland American does go from Seattle to Seattle, but they also go to
Glacier Bay which some other lines do not and they also have cruise
tours if someone wanted to do that.

Tom K October 29th, 2011 03:21 PM

Alaska Cruise

On 10/28/11 11:46 PM, wrote:

Holland American does go from Seattle to Seattle, but they also go to
Glacier Bay which some other lines do not and they also have cruise
tours if someone wanted to do that.

And one nice thing they do, at least on their smaller ships, is open up
the bow of the ship for passengers to view the glaciers in Glacier Bay.
On many other cruise line ships, that area has a lot of mechanical
equipment so the area is closed off to passengers.

--Tom

Earl_Colby_Pottinger October 29th, 2011 05:33 PM

Alaska Cruise

On Oct 25, 8:09*pm, Brian wrote:

Are there cruises to Alaska in the winter?

Yes, I am dumb, dumb, dumb. My mind was too much on the Caribbean
cruise, stupid me.

Yes, I want to cruise during the summer months, I am *NOT* a winter
person at all.

Sorry, about the dumb dates.

Earl_Colby_Pottinger October 29th, 2011 05:34 PM

Alaska Cruise

On Oct 25, 9:27*pm, RayC wrote:
On 10/25/2011 5:09 PM, Brian wrote:

Are there cruises to Alaska in the winter?

Not with the traditional cruise lines! *If you can find something that
time of year, it will most likely be a small ship cruise or a charter.

And I am sure they are not in my budget! :)