TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   International Drivers License? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=32958)

devil July 22nd, 2004 03:15 AM

International Drivers License?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:00:13 -0700, MattB wrote:

Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France to
have an International Drivers License?
Thanks!

No.

devil July 22nd, 2004 03:15 AM

International Drivers License?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:00:13 -0700, MattB wrote:

Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France to
have an International Drivers License?
Thanks!

No.

pltrgyst July 22nd, 2004 03:45 AM

On 21 Jul 2004 19:00:13 -0700, (MattB) wrote:

Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France to
have an International Drivers License?

Its only use might be if you get stopped for a driving infraction. The rental
agencies won't even look at it -- they want your US license.

-- Larry

John Bermont July 22nd, 2004 04:03 AM

MattB wrote:
Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France to
have an International Drivers License?
Thanks!

I usually get an International Driving Permit before going to Europe
whether I plan to drive or not. It is sometimes valuable as an extra
piece of security ID in lieu of leaving a passport. And it is reportedly
required for driving in some countries. When I'm stopped by a police
officer (hasn't happened in France) I show him the IDP along with my
drivers license, passport, car title, and insurance.

If you are driving in France for the first time my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap18/auto.htm can help get you up the
learning curve before you hit the road.

John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

MattB wrote:
Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France to
have an International Drivers License?
Thanks!

I usually get an International Driving Permit before going to Europe
whether I plan to drive or not. It is sometimes valuable as an extra
piece of security ID in lieu of leaving a passport. And it is reportedly
required for driving in some countries. When I'm stopped by a police
officer (hasn't happened in France) I show him the IDP along with my
drivers license, passport, car title, and insurance.

If you are driving in France for the first time my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap18/auto.htm can help get you up the
learning curve before you hit the road.

John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Mark Hewitt July 22nd, 2004 09:51 AM

International Drivers License?

"MattB" wrote in message
om...
Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France to
have an International Drivers License?

An advantage not not necessary. And international licence will just provide
a translation of your US licence into French, nothing more, nothing less. So
if you get stopped by someone who doesn't speak English it might be good,
otherwise pointless.

Mark Hewitt July 22nd, 2004 09:51 AM

International Drivers License?

"MattB" wrote in message
om...
Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France to
have an International Drivers License?

An advantage not not necessary. And international licence will just provide
a translation of your US licence into French, nothing more, nothing less. So
if you get stopped by someone who doesn't speak English it might be good,
otherwise pointless.

Owain July 23rd, 2004 02:12 PM

International Drivers License?

"MattB" wrote
| Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France
| to have an International Drivers License?

No. An IDL is a worthless document.

It is *advisable* however to have an International Driver's *Permit*.

The IDP is a formal document which translates driving licence details into
several languages, enabling foreign authorities to interpret the entitlement
held, validity periods, age and identity of the holder.
(Explanatory note at
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/press_...03_14Apr03.htm
)

From Canadian Dept of Foreign Affairs website:
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/faq-en.asp#driving
Q: What are the additional advantages of using the IDP?
A: It provides the holder with an extra photo ID. Provides translation of
your valid Canadian Drivers licence since the IDP is printed in 10 languages
(English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, Arabic, Italian,
Scandinavian and Portuguese.) Most Car Rental agencies will request an IDP
even though one is not required to drive in their country.

Compared to the cost and inconvenience of being stopped by a jobsworth
police officer who decides to give you a hard time because your licence
isn't in French, it's probably a wise thing to have "just in case".

Owain

Owain July 23rd, 2004 02:12 PM

International Drivers License?

"MattB" wrote
| Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France
| to have an International Drivers License?

No. An IDL is a worthless document.

It is *advisable* however to have an International Driver's *Permit*.

The IDP is a formal document which translates driving licence details into
several languages, enabling foreign authorities to interpret the entitlement
held, validity periods, age and identity of the holder.
(Explanatory note at
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/press_...03_14Apr03.htm
)

From Canadian Dept of Foreign Affairs website:
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/faq-en.asp#driving
Q: What are the additional advantages of using the IDP?
A: It provides the holder with an extra photo ID. Provides translation of
your valid Canadian Drivers licence since the IDP is printed in 10 languages
(English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, Arabic, Italian,
Scandinavian and Portuguese.) Most Car Rental agencies will request an IDP
even though one is not required to drive in their country.

Compared to the cost and inconvenience of being stopped by a jobsworth
police officer who decides to give you a hard time because your licence
isn't in French, it's probably a wise thing to have "just in case".

Owain

B Vaughan July 24th, 2004 07:26 AM

International Drivers License?

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:12:16 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

"MattB" wrote
| Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France
| to have an International Drivers License?

No. An IDL is a worthless document.

It is *advisable* however to have an International Driver's *Permit*.

They are two names for the same thing.
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it