TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   money, money, money (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=5091)

Linda Evans November 8th, 2003 06:45 PM

money, money, money

What amount of money would be considered adequate for a week's stay in
Yangon, given that accommodation and travel is already accounted for? Money
for lunch and dinner for a week, and some souvenir shopping. What might be
popular "buys" for first-time visitors? Is there a limit as I suspect? If
it's the "cash culture" I've been led to believe it is, isn't there a danger
of running out of funds and not being able to obtain extra?

I'm off on Friday after two years of planning, to visit my uncle's war
grave.

Thanks to the group for all the valuable info over the months.

Linda

Frans Vandenbosch November 8th, 2003 07:39 PM

money, money, money

"Linda Evans" schreef in bericht
What amount of money would be considered adequate for a week's stay in
Yangon, given that accommodation and travel is already accounted for?

Money
for lunch and dinner for a week, and some souvenir shopping. What might

be
popular "buys" for first-time visitors? Is there a limit as I suspect?

If
it's the "cash culture" I've been led to believe it is, isn't there a

danger
of running out of funds and not being able to obtain extra?
I'm off on Friday after two years of planning, to visit my uncle's war
grave.
Thanks to the group for all the valuable info over the months.
Linda

Just take some USD with you
Make sure that the notes are clean with no marks or dirt on it.
You can get Kyats for your USD on various places:
big tourist shops, hotels, ... at a normal rate.
and at a favourable exchange rate on the black market
if in 50 or 100 USD notes:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya.../DSCN0387.html

Don't worry to run out of funds, take more than enough USD with you, no one
will steel the money from you

Popular buys ?
Gold, gems, textile, handicrafts
but all these items can be bought at half the price in small villages in
Magway, Shan or in Rakhine state.
Bogyoke (Scott) Market is a must:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya.../DSCN0378.html

Do you go to the Htauk Kyauk world war cemetary ?
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/tre.../DSCN1191.html
Still trying to find out why there are so much victims of the _first_ WW
(1914-1918) on that cemetary.

Be aware that communication in Myanmar is a disaster:
international tel.calls are expensive
mobile phone: a SIM card costs 5000 USD
surfing on the internet is not possible in hotels.
e-mail is only possible on some places in Yangon.
(take your sattelite phone of laptop-modem with you)

Best Regards