TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I got a NWA travel voucher... (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=42790)

Zelda September 18th, 2004 01:51 PM

I got a NWA travel voucher...

In July, I got involuntarily bumped from a Northwest Airlines flight,
and they gave me a travel voucher good for a free round-trip ticket
anywhere in the USA, including Alaska but not Hawaii. Several people
told me I should book a flight as soon as possible, because there are
very few seats available for these vouchers (one person said, "Book it
eleven months ahead").

I just called NWA and tried to book a flight to Anchorage in June
2005, returning 12 days later. The reservation agent said nothing was
available to fly to Anchorage until July 4, 2005, and there were no
return flights available for me until August 20th!!! He said I should
call back in a couple of months, because the flights were not yet "set
up" that far in advance.

I know lots of people get bumped. How can you actually use the free
ticket? Are there likely to be more seats available later, or less?
The ticket is pretty useless to me if I can't get a return flight
about two weeks after the outgoing flight. Hmmm... is this how the
airline saves money, by making it virtually impossible to use the
voucher?

- Zelda

Roger B. September 18th, 2004 03:46 PM

I dunno about NWA, but I had no trouble using one on another
airline for flights 2-4 months out. I'd be reluctant to tie myself into
a trip that far in advance... and maybe the airline is too. I would
guess that they do not want to let you fill a seat so far out because
the demand is unknown, but they start to put seats on sale 2-4 mos
before because its then apparent that they won't sell out. [R]

"Zelda" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"Zelda" wrote in message
m...
[...]

jtc September 18th, 2004 10:06 PM

yes, and you might as well resign yourself to that.
Of course the window of opportunity for Alaska is very small and therefore,
not many "free" seats.
If you truly want a free seat to anywhere you will have to book 2-4 months
in advance and then just be happy with the trip you have planned on the free
ticket.
Even NW Frequent Flyer tickets are hard to come by for Alaska and Hawaii and
those you do need to book 11 months in advance at the least.
Good luck!

--
jtc
"Zelda" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Nile September 19th, 2004 05:51 AM

Several people told me I should book a flight as soon as possible,
because there are very few seats available for these vouchers

I've used Northwest Airlines vouchers before, nearly a year later, with
no problems. In fact, I voluntarily bumped myself off the overbooked
flight for a voucher for another flight within one year, and an upgrade
to first class for the original destination later that same day.

How can you actually use the free ticket?

Just make your reservation, and when it comes to the part where it's
time to tell them how you're going to pay, tell them you're using a
voucher. Or tell them on the front end; makes no difference.