TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cooktown - how long? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=150924)

Kerry Raymond March 15th, 2009 12:02 PM

Cooktown - how long?

Has anyone been to Cooktown? If so, how long would you suggest? We are
interested in history, but happy to be interested in whatever else is on
offer?

Kerry

A Mate[_2_] March 16th, 2009 05:17 AM

Cooktown - how long?

Depends!

The Cooktown Museum is excellent. Professionally curated and located in the
old 19th century Convent - itself a fine building.

There are a number of 'tours' available to nearby Hopevale to sample
aboriginal life and culture (most conducted by aboriginals).

Fishing is an option - some excellent reef, estuary and 'game' fishing
thereabouts.

Personally I'd recommend 2 or 3 nights; except if you are following a
specific interest.

"Kerry raymond" wrote in message
Has anyone been to Cooktown? If so, how long would you suggest? We are
interested in history, but happy to be interested in whatever else is on
offer?

Kerry

Kerry Raymond March 18th, 2009 06:57 AM

Cooktown - how long?

Thanks for that.

Has anyone driven up on the inland road now that it is claimed to be sealed
all the way? Is the drive worth it, or should we just fly?

Kerry

" A Mate" wrote in message
Depends!

The Cooktown Museum is excellent. Professionally curated and located in
the old 19th century Convent - itself a fine building.

There are a number of 'tours' available to nearby Hopevale to sample
aboriginal life and culture (most conducted by aboriginals).

Fishing is an option - some excellent reef, estuary and 'game' fishing
thereabouts.

Personally I'd recommend 2 or 3 nights; except if you are following a
specific interest.

"Kerry raymond" wrote in message
Has anyone been to Cooktown? If so, how long would you suggest? We are
interested in history, but happy to be interested in whatever else is on
offer?

Kerry

A Mate[_2_] March 18th, 2009 07:36 AM

Cooktown - how long?

I drove up the inland road 4 years ago, just before the last section was
sealed, and back down what's known locally as the CREB track (4wd only), the
coastal road.

If you drive you'll see 'Black Mountain, and can take the short side trip to
the old Lions Den Hotel. The coastal road is more interesting - Bloomfield
River, Wujul Wujul, the Daintree etc - but is easily cut by rain.

Personally I'd drive. The inland road is good (I drove it first in 1966,
when very little of it was sealed, it wasn't too bad even then); and only
lightly trafficed. You then will have your own car to explore around
Cooktown, at your own pace.