TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cruise Critic down again... (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=86056)

Rex March 23rd, 2006 08:15 PM

Cruise Critic down again...

All I ever see is... Service Unavailable ... or the white screen of
death. I have one of my roll calls there and I wish I could see it..
If they just reached out I would help them fix it... ugh

Rex
www.cruiselineforums.com

Bert Hyman March 23rd, 2006 08:17 PM

Cruise Critic down again...

(Rex) wrote in
oups.com:

All I ever see is... Service Unavailable ...

Works for me.

Maybe it's a personal problem.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Sue and Kevin Mullen March 23rd, 2006 08:26 PM

Cruise Critic down again...

Rex wrote:
All I ever see is... Service Unavailable ... or the white screen of
death. I have one of my roll calls there and I wish I could see it..
If they just reached out I would help them fix it... ugh

Cruise Critic is working, just very slowly. With two major cruise
accidents(?) it isn't surprising that it is having problems. In case
you haven't heard 12 passengers from the Millenium were killed when
their tour bus went off a cliff and there was a fire on the Star
Princess that was pretty bad.

I think these two situations are more important then any roll call.

sue

FeAudrey March 24th, 2006 12:17 AM

Cruise Critic down again...

In article .com,
says...

The Cruise Critic boards are now closed to lurkers.

Those of you who are members -- any word from the admins about why this
has changed?

(Assuming the boards are again available even to members ...)

--
Visit my Iron Age Pages for technical and fun stuff (holiday specials,
too)!

Luther Myrvold March 24th, 2006 12:40 AM

Cruise Critic down again...

In article .com,
"Rex" wrote:

All I ever see is... Service Unavailable ... or the white screen of
death. I have one of my roll calls there and I wish I could see it..
If they just reached out I would help them fix it... ugh

Rex
www.cruiselineforums.com

I am a poster in the Cruise Critic message boards. I was clued that
because some of the boards were becoming nasty that CC was shutting some
of them down. I was also clued to move over to Cruiseline Forums. You
will find the CC refugees calling themselve Owls. They flew in quietly
at night.

Charles March 24th, 2006 01:48 AM

Cruise Critic down again...

In article , FeAudrey
wrote:

(Assuming the boards are again available even to members ...)

I just got on. Pretty slow though right now. Definitly under a heavy
load. That is an inherent problem with web discussion boards. If there
is some evemt and heavy traffic their servers bog down. As far as
changing their policy of allowing lurkers to read the boards, don't
know anything about that. First I heard of it. Their boards are too
slow for me to bother checking right now.

--
Charles

Charles March 24th, 2006 02:51 AM

Cruise Critic down again...

In article , FeAudrey
wrote:

The Cruise Critic boards are now closed to lurkers.

Those of you who are members -- any word from the admins about why this
has changed?

I can't find any indication that you can't browse the boards without
being a member. Are you positive that there has been a change?

--
Charles

Uncle Peter March 24th, 2006 11:35 PM

Cruise Critic down again...

"Charles" wrote in message
I can't find any indication that you can't browse the boards without
being a member. Are you positive that there has been a change?

--
Charles

Charles

I am able to read the reviews, and I am not a member.

Peter

FeAudrey March 25th, 2006 12:50 AM

Cruise Critic down again...

In article ,
lid says...

I can't find any indication that you can't browse the boards without
being a member. Are you positive that there has been a change?

That was the situation yesterday. Today I can lurk.

So I guess that Cruise Critic temporarily closed the boards to non-members
to cut down load on the servers during the early hours of the news about the
fire and the crash.

--
Visit my Iron Age Pages for technical and fun stuff (holiday specials, too)!
http://pages.prodigy.net/feaudrey

FeAudrey March 26th, 2006 03:59 AM

Cruise Critic down again...

In article , says...

As far as I have seen Cruise Critic was never closed to anyone! It
was just a very busy day there and most people had trouble accessing
the boards.

Every try at the boards produced the login screen, not a "busy" or a "not
found".

(I wrote my first program when Lyndon Johnson was president. I can usually
provide an accurate description of a computer problem.)