TravelBanter

-   Backpacking and Budget travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=8283)

Tom Welch September 20th, 2003 09:49 PM

Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

Do you carry a radio with you
when traveling?

If so, what is the brand and
model?

Tom Welch

Miguel Cruz September 20th, 2003 10:21 PM

Tom Welch wrote:
Do you carry a radio with you when traveling?

What for?

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Jim Ley September 20th, 2003 10:46 PM

Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

On 20 Sep 2003 13:49:48 -0700, (Tom Welch) wrote:

Do you carry a radio with you
when traveling?

If so, what is the brand and
model?

I carried a Nokia 8310 with me to South Africa.

I used it to listen to Cricket Commentary whilst watching the games.

I can't think of many other reasons too...

Jim.

Eric Edwards September 20th, 2003 11:30 PM

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:21:53 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tom Welch wrote:
Do you carry a radio with you when traveling?

What for?

A short wave radio can be handy if you are spending time in remote areas
and still want to know what is happening in the world. It is a bigger
deal if you plan to carry on through areas with potential for turmoil. I
wouldn't call it essential but it might reduce the surprise factor when
you return to civilization.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or

Miguel Cruz September 21st, 2003 01:14 AM

Eric Edwards wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tom Welch wrote:
Do you carry a radio with you when traveling?

What for?

A short wave radio can be handy if you are spending time in remote areas
and still want to know what is happening in the world. It is a bigger
deal if you plan to carry on through areas with potential for turmoil. I
wouldn't call it essential but it might reduce the surprise factor when
you return to civilization.

Ah, count me out then! One of my favorite things after a month in the desert
is to catch up on the "best of" version of all the news that happened while
I was blissfully oblivious. It's fun to watch the curve of a story over
time.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Tom Welch September 21st, 2003 07:20 PM

Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

I carry a Sangean DT 200 pocket radio
in my daypack all the time. It is
great on batteries and uses AAs.
Click http://www.radiointel.com/review-dt200v.htm
to learn more.

Tom Welch

Raffi Balmanoukian September 22nd, 2003 02:22 AM

Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

in article , Tom Welch at
wrote on 9/21/03 3:20 PM:

I carry a Sangean DT 200 pocket radio
in my daypack all the time. It is
great on batteries and uses AAs.
Click
http://www.radiointel.com/review-dt200v.htm
to learn more.

Tom Welch

I carry a Sony knock-off shortwave that I bought for USD$9 in Pleiku,
Vietnam. Five years and four continents later, it's still working,
astoundingly. I agree with Miguel that it's not always in use, but I'll
usually tune in to BBC world service every few days even when out bush - it
would have been most disconcerting to be the last person on earth to hear of
Osama.....

Eric Ferguson September 22nd, 2003 02:44 AM

Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

I use a Yaesu VR-500. It covers AM, FM, SW, LW, etc. Tunes from 100 Khz to
1,300 Mhz with a few gaps. (Cellular being one.) Tuning modes are AM, Narrow
AM (with a few keystrokes), Wide FM, Narrow FM, LSB, and USB. Fits in the
palm of your hand and runs on 2 AA batteries. It also has 1000 programmable
channels & the Weather channels built in. But don't use the antenna that
comes with it. Eric KA6USJ

mhicaoidh September 22nd, 2003 05:12 AM

Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

Taking a moment's reflection, Eric Ferguson mused:

| I use a Yaesu VR-500. It covers AM, FM, SW, LW, etc. Tunes from 100 Khz to
| 1,300 Mhz with a few gaps. (Cellular being one.) Tuning modes are AM,
| Narrow AM (with a few keystrokes), Wide FM, Narrow FM, LSB, and USB. Fits
| in the palm of your hand and runs on 2 AA batteries. It also has 1000
| programmable channels & the Weather channels built in. But don't use the
| antenna that comes with it.

Does it make coffee as well? ;-)

Phil September 24th, 2003 11:10 AM

Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

"Tom Welch" wrote in message
om...
Do you carry a radio with you
when traveling?

If so, what is the brand and
model?

Tom Welch

I carry one 'o dem clockwork thingies and I don't need any more spam just
now, thank you Tom