TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Where do the locals eat in Chiang Mai? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7130)

Joe Schmoe June 14th, 2004 12:29 PM

Where do the locals eat in Chiang Mai?

Can anyone recommend a restaurant where the locals go in Chiang Mai?
My first time there, and am hoping for some non-touristy, mom & pop
places to enjoy the real thing!

Thanks!
Joe

loikroh June 14th, 2004 01:38 PM

Where do the locals eat in Chiang Mai?

Try Ban Rai Yarm Yen - very popular Thai restaurant - almost zero tourists
'cos they can't find it. Ask any Tuk Tuk driver to take you. I'm not
telling you where it is :-)
cheers
"Joe Schmoe" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a restaurant where the locals go in Chiang Mai?
My first time there, and am hoping for some non-touristy, mom & pop
places to enjoy the real thing!

Thanks!
Joe

Peter L June 14th, 2004 05:25 PM

"loikroh" wrote in message
Try Ban Rai Yarm Yen - very popular Thai restaurant - almost zero tourists
'cos they can't find it. Ask any Tuk Tuk driver to take you. I'm not
telling you where it is :-)

Tourists don't know how to get a tuk tuk?

cheers
"Joe Schmoe" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a restaurant where the locals go in Chiang Mai?
My first time there, and am hoping for some non-touristy, mom & pop
places to enjoy the real thing!

Thanks!
Joe

Markku Grönroos June 14th, 2004 05:33 PM

"Peter L" wrote in message

"loikroh" wrote in message
Try Ban Rai Yarm Yen - very popular Thai restaurant - almost zero

tourists
'cos they can't find it. Ask any Tuk Tuk driver to take you. I'm not
telling you where it is :-)

Tourists don't know how to get a tuk tuk?

I suppose you don't.

Joe Schmoe June 14th, 2004 09:47 PM

Where do the locals eat in Chiang Mai?

I definitely will go there...thanks!!

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:38:07 GMT, "loikroh"
wrote:

Try Ban Rai Yarm Yen - very popular Thai restaurant - almost zero tourists
'cos they can't find it. Ask any Tuk Tuk driver to take you. I'm not
telling you where it is :-)
cheers
"Joe Schmoe" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone recommend a restaurant where the locals go in Chiang Mai?
My first time there, and am hoping for some non-touristy, mom & pop
places to enjoy the real thing!

Thanks!
Joe

Michael Christoffersen June 15th, 2004 04:01 PM

"Peter L" wrote in message

"loikroh" wrote in message
Try Ban Rai Yarm Yen - very popular Thai restaurant - almost zero

tourists
'cos they can't find it. Ask any Tuk Tuk driver to take you. I'm not
telling you where it is :-)

Baan Rai Yarm Yen or 'country house at sunset' is right on the other side
of the super highway off Farham Road.
Plenty of tourists when I was there in January, suppose they belonged to a
tour group or something.
A nice place for sure.

Cheers
Michael Christoffersen

Tribal June 23rd, 2004 06:14 PM

Where do the locals eat in Chiang Mai?

Check the nightmarket, authentic and inexpensive