TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   South of the Border NC/SC Border memories (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=42522)

roadsidesc13 September 16th, 2004 03:23 AM

South of the Border NC/SC Border memories

Graduate student at USC is seeking memories and reminiscences for a
study about South of the Border, the well known tourist stop along the
NC/SC border. If you stopped at South of the Border anytime between
1949 and 2004, any memories, reminiscences, family snapshots, or
comments, please share them and help to record this one of a kind
roadside attraction!

Fustanella September 16th, 2004 02:59 PM

NC/SC border. If you stopped at South of the Border anytime between
1949 and 2004, any memories, reminiscences, family snapshots, or

We left a gas cap there when refueling a few years ago. Has anyone seen it?
:)

It was a routine tourist-trap stop for us on the way from Florida to New
York and back. I've still got a slot-machine token or two as a souvenir, and
the many, many billboards along I-95 kept us amused then and now.

During that last trip, though, it really felt as though it had gone downhill
from the Seventies, when most of our family trips were made - either that or
I didn't notice things as a kid that stood out in adulthood.