TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "Knives top list of contraband seized at airports" (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=53960)

[email protected] December 26th, 2004 02:54 AM

"Knives top list of contraband seized at airports"

Knives top list of contraband seized at airports
Small knives left in travelers' pockets are still among the most common
contraband at airport security gates, but screeners say they continue
to see everything from a large snake to a gun-packing granny.
at http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20041...0130-3736r.htm

Merry Christmas December 26th, 2004 06:35 AM

wrote:
Knives top list of contraband seized at airports
Small knives left in travelers' pockets are still among the most common
contraband at airport security gates, but screeners say they continue
to see everything from a large snake to a gun-packing granny.
at
http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20041...0130-3736r.htm

Looking at a piece of the article should make it apparent why you do not
want to exempt old people and children from searching. If you are going
to search people, then don't make exceptions for age.

************************************************** ***************************
Other discoveries are not so amusing. An 86-year-old woman in Florida
recently was caught with a loaded gun she had hidden inside a book.
Other recent episodes include a child who was flagged when
screeners found a gun hidden inside his teddy bear.

wrote:
Knives top list of contraband seized at airports
Small knives left in travelers' pockets are still among the most common
contraband at airport security gates, but screeners say they continue
to see everything from a large snake to a gun-packing granny.
at
http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20041...0130-3736r.htm

Looking at a piece of the article should make it apparent why you do not
want to exempt old people and children from searching. If you are going
to search people, then don't make exceptions for age.

************************************************** ***************************
Other discoveries are not so amusing. An 86-year-old woman in Florida
recently was caught with a loaded gun she had hidden inside a book.
Other recent episodes include a child who was flagged when
screeners found a gun hidden inside his teddy bear.

[email protected] December 26th, 2004 07:27 PM

Agreed, as my 63 year step-dad always forgets to leave a pocket knife
home when traveling by airplane. Always seems, as though he remembers
when he gets to airport. He has had to run back to car a few times to
leave it there. Also once left witht he nice people at NWA (Pinnicale
Airlines) and was able to get it back when returning home. I know this
is not the case all of the time or I guess I should say most of time,
but for some reason he got lucky that go-around.

Michael

nobody December 26th, 2004 08:14 PM

wrote:
leave it there. Also once left witht he nice people at NWA (Pinnicale
Airlines) and was able to get it back when returning home. I know this
is not the case all of the time or I guess I should say most of time,
but for some reason he got lucky that go-around.

Perhaps the TSA should force all airports to have a left-luggage service for
dangerous items. This way passengers could leave items such as knives, bombs,
forks, machine guns, tweezers etc in a place at airport they knew they would
be able to get them back upon their return.