TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Trip to Croatia (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=176729)

Mike Lane[_2_] March 9th, 2012 10:32 AM

Trip to Croatia

I'm planning a trip to Croatia by car in June. There'll be quite a lot
of driving involved so I'm looking for a nice quiet place to stay put for a
few days on the Dalmation coast.

I'm not interested in beaches particularly, nor anywhere with large hotels.
Ideally a small town or village with a harbour and enough tourism to support
a few places to stay and eat, but no more.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Last year we went to the Pelion peninsular
in Greece looking for somewhere similar, and found a place called Damouchari
which was ideal.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Dragec March 9th, 2012 11:43 AM

Trip to Croatia

Try to find browsing www.croatia-tourist.net. There is a map of Croatia and
images of accommodation (and places), detailed description and prices of
accommodation in each town.
Personally, I reccommend island Hvar - crystal clear water, beautiful old
city (city Hvar on island Hvar) living 0-24 with rich night life and the
most beautiful beaches (even they doesn't bother you :)). Island Hvar is the
place with the most sunny days in a year in Croatia.
But if you prefer not to travel with ferry, very nice places to stay are
Makarska (middle Dalmatia), and places around city of Split.

Hope it helps.

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
I'm planning a trip to Croatia by car in June. There'll be quite a lot
of driving involved so I'm looking for a nice quiet place to stay put for
few days on the Dalmation coast.

I'm not interested in beaches particularly, nor anywhere with large
hotels.
Ideally a small town or village with a harbour and enough tourism to
support
a few places to stay and eat, but no more.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Last year we went to the Pelion
peninsular
in Greece looking for somewhere similar, and found a place called
Damouchari
which was ideal.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
mike_lane at mac dot com

Surreyman[_3_] March 10th, 2012 11:57 AM

Trip to Croatia

On Mar 9, 9:32*am, Mike Lane wrote:
I'm planning a trip to Croatia by car in June. There'll be quite a lot
of driving involved so I'm looking for a nice quiet place to stay put for a
few days on the Dalmation coast.

I'm not interested in beaches particularly, nor anywhere with large hotels.
Ideally a small town or village with a harbour and enough tourism to support
a few places to stay and eat, but no more.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Last year we went to the Pelion peninsular
in Greece looking for somewhere similar, and found a place called Damouchari
which was ideal.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
mike_lane at mac dot com

Just go slightly south to Kotor, Montenegro.
Unbelievable beautiful medieval town, outstanding surrounding 'fjord &
mountain' scenery.
One of the undiscovered gems of the Med.

Mike Lane[_2_] March 10th, 2012 01:39 PM

Trip to Croatia

Surreyman wrote on Mar 10, 2012:

[...]

Sounds tempting but probably too far this time.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

poldy March 10th, 2012 07:11 PM

Trip to Croatia

In article
,
Surreyman wrote:

[...]

What's the language and currency? Hospitable to English-speaking
visitors?

Jack Campin March 11th, 2012 02:47 PM

Trip to Croatia

I'm planning a trip to Croatia by car in June. There'll be quite a lot
of driving involved so I'm looking for a nice quiet place to stay put
for a few days on the Dalmation coast.
I'm not interested in beaches particularly, nor anywhere with large
hotels. Ideally a small town or village with a harbour and enough
tourism to support a few places to stay and eat, but no more.

I liked Omis - it's on the main coast road so you could leave the car
elsewhere and get there by bus if you wanted. Ideal if you fish, as
the river is used a lot for that. It's got an old castle, a near-
deserted satellite village up the hill, a spectacular setting under
the mountains and a pub where the local "klapa" singing group meets
regularly.

Surreyman[_3_] March 12th, 2012 10:33 AM

Trip to Croatia

On Mar 10, 6:11*pm, poldy wrote:
In article
,

*Surreyman wrote:
[...]

Montenegro uses the Euro, although they are not yet in the EU.
They're becoming well-tuned towards tourism, absolutely hospitable.

Mike Lane[_2_] March 12th, 2012 07:07 PM

Trip to Croatia

Jack Campin wrote on Mar 11, 2012:

I'm planning a trip to Croatia by car in June. There'll be quite a lot
of driving involved so I'm looking for a nice quiet place to stay put
for a few days on the Dalmation coast.
I'm not interested in beaches particularly, nor anywhere with large
hotels. Ideally a small town or village with a harbour and enough
tourism to support a few places to stay and eat, but no more.

I liked Omis - it's on the main coast road so you could leave the car
elsewhere and get there by bus if you wanted. Ideal if you fish, as
the river is used a lot for that. It's got an old castle, a near-
deserted satellite village up the hill, a spectacular setting under
the mountains and a pub where the local "klapa" singing group meets
regularly.

Thanks. I might try stopping there for a day or two. I was planning to go
that way en route to Drvenic to take the ferry to Hvar

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Jack Campin March 12th, 2012 11:06 PM

Trip to Croatia

Montenegro uses the Euro, although they are not yet in the EU.
They're becoming well-tuned towards tourism, absolutely hospitable.

Not so hospitable to some. This is why I decided not to visit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/8107701.stm

Surreyman[_3_] March 13th, 2012 10:07 AM

Trip to Croatia

On Mar 12, 10:06*pm, Jack Campin wrote:
Montenegro uses the Euro, although they are not yet in the EU.
They're becoming well-tuned towards tourism, absolutely hospitable.

Not so hospitable to some. *This is why I decided not to visit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/8107701.stm

e *m *a *i *l * *: * *j *a *c *k * @ * c *a *m *p *i *n * . * m *e * . * u *k
Jack Campin, *11 Third Street, *Newtongrange, *Midlothian EH22 4PU, *Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 * * * http://www.campin.me.uk * * *Twitter: JackCampin

On that basis, is there anywhere in the world you could visit?