TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Money around Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4342)

Miguel Cruz September 10th, 2003 04:45 PM

Money around Asia

Chris Blunt wrote:
"Markku Grönroos" wrote:
You had traveller's cheques along with you ? Why couldn't you claim the
lost ones ?

Because, as I said, the thief took everything from the hotel room,
including the receipts for the cheques. Amex wouldn't give me a refund
unless I could provide details of the serial numbers. That was the last
time I ever wasted money buying travellers cheques.

I've also bought my last travelers checks a long time ago, but for those who
continue - you could email yourself the serial numbers after purchasing
them.

miguel

Chris Blunt September 10th, 2003 04:59 PM

Money around Asia

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:45:16 GMT, (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
"Markku Grönroos" wrote:
You had traveller's cheques along with you ? Why couldn't you claim the
lost ones ?

Because, as I said, the thief took everything from the hotel room,
including the receipts for the cheques. Amex wouldn't give me a refund
unless I could provide details of the serial numbers. That was the last
time I ever wasted money buying travellers cheques.

I've also bought my last travelers checks a long time ago, but for those who
continue - you could email yourself the serial numbers after purchasing
them.

This all happened over 10 years ago. I think I'd be better able to
track down the details if it happened in these days of information
technology.

Miguel Cruz September 10th, 2003 07:04 PM

Money around Asia

Chris Blunt wrote:
(Miguel Cruz) wrote:
I've also bought my last travelers checks a long time ago, but for those
who continue - you could email yourself the serial numbers after
purchasing them.

This all happened over 10 years ago. I think I'd be better able to
track down the details if it happened in these days of information
technology.

They had email 10 years ago, you know! I even used the internet in
developing countries like Indonesia back then.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu

Eric Edwards September 10th, 2003 08:12 PM

Money around Asia

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:04:07 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:
They had email 10 years ago, you know! I even used the internet in
developing countries like Indonesia back then.

Must have been a private arrangement. In 1993, ISP's were just beginning
to reach beyond the largest cities, even in the US. I am skeptical of a
claim that there was any kind of public access in Indonesia.

I've been using the Internet since 1988 but it wasn't until 1994 that I
could reach an ISP from my home without a long distance call.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or

Miguel Cruz September 10th, 2003 09:15 PM

Money around Asia

Eric Edwards wrote:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:04:07 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:
They had email 10 years ago, you know! I even used the internet in
developing countries like Indonesia back then.

Must have been a private arrangement. In 1993, ISP's were just beginning
to reach beyond the largest cities, even in the US. I am skeptical of a
claim that there was any kind of public access in Indonesia.

I walked into a university computer science department and asked to use it.

I haven't really lived outside of large cities or college towns in the USA
but since about 1991 I never had trouble in those places getting access.

miguel