TravelBanter

-   Backpacking and Budget travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   travel advice beyond snoring (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=49272)

Fritos November 12th, 2004 08:57 PM

travel advice beyond snoring

I've been having a good time reading the snoring and hostel stories. I
tried the StudentUniverse advice and found a cheaper flight to Rome than
what I was going to spend on Travelocity, so I'm kind of psyched. I've got
my earplugs packed for dorm living, but what else do I need for a
successful budget trip? My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Raffi Balmanoukian November 13th, 2004 03:04 AM

in article qt9ld.49$pP5.3@trnddc05, Fritos at
wrote on 11/12/04 4:57 PM:

I've been having a good time reading the snoring and hostel stories. I
tried the StudentUniverse advice and found a cheaper flight to Rome than
what I was going to spend on Travelocity, so I'm kind of psyched. I've got
my earplugs packed for dorm living, but what else do I need for a
successful budget trip? My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Towel, yes. Sleep sheet, usually. Good lock (pacsafes get varied reviews),
definitely. Innoculations if you're going to some places (not Rome AFAIK),
sometimes several months in advance.

And an open mind.

wrote on 11/12/04 4:57 PM:

I've been having a good time reading the snoring and hostel stories. I
tried the StudentUniverse advice and found a cheaper flight to Rome than
what I was going to spend on Travelocity, so I'm kind of psyched. I've got
my earplugs packed for dorm living, but what else do I need for a
successful budget trip? My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Towel, yes. Sleep sheet, usually. Good lock (pacsafes get varied reviews),
definitely. Innoculations if you're going to some places (not Rome AFAIK),
sometimes several months in advance.

And an open mind.

szozu November 13th, 2004 11:35 AM

"Fritos" wrote in message

My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Taking along the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an excellent travel
choice!

Good-bye and thanks for all the fish,
Lana

"Fritos" wrote in message

My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Taking along the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an excellent travel
choice!

Good-bye and thanks for all the fish,
Lana

B Vaughan November 13th, 2004 11:37 AM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:57:58 GMT, Fritos
wrote:

I've been having a good time reading the snoring and hostel stories. I
tried the StudentUniverse advice and found a cheaper flight to Rome than
what I was going to spend on Travelocity, so I'm kind of psyched. I've got
my earplugs packed for dorm living, but what else do I need for a
successful budget trip? My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

If you're staying in hostels, you need something like a towel.
However, an actual towel takes a long time to dry. I suggest using
large squares of kitchen gauze, which you can find in most hardware
stores.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it

wrote:

I've been having a good time reading the snoring and hostel stories. I
tried the StudentUniverse advice and found a cheaper flight to Rome than
what I was going to spend on Travelocity, so I'm kind of psyched. I've got
my earplugs packed for dorm living, but what else do I need for a
successful budget trip? My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

If you're staying in hostels, you need something like a towel.
However, an actual towel takes a long time to dry. I suggest using
large squares of kitchen gauze, which you can find in most hardware
stores.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it

B Vaughan November 13th, 2004 05:35 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:35:37 +0100, "szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com
wrote:

"Fritos" wrote in message

My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Taking along the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an excellent travel
choice!

That's one of the very few books that I was never able to finish.
--

wrote:

"Fritos" wrote in message

My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Taking along the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an excellent travel
choice!

That's one of the very few books that I was never able to finish.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it

szozu November 14th, 2004 01:29 AM

wrote:

"Fritos" wrote in message

My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Taking along the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an excellent travel
choice!

That's one of the very few books that I was never able to finish.

I think you have to be in the right mood to read it. I first became familiar
with it in the 70's in the UK where it was presented on the radio. I found
it was absolutely hilarious and when I read the book, the radio voices
remained in my head.

Lana