TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   spanish motoway electronic tolls (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=150928)

Andrew Carr[_2_] March 15th, 2009 01:42 PM

spanish motoway electronic tolls

last year I toured France but before I went I got one of the liber-t
electronic toll cards which allowed my to pass through toll booths quickly
and easily (especially with the booths on the wrong side for my car).

this year I thought about venturing into Spain and looked to see if they had
a similar system they have but you seem to get the system from your local
Spanish bank (whereas the French just wanted my credit card number).

so does anyone know if you can get the Spanish system abroad when you don't
know anybody in Spain to send you one?

Andy

Tom P[_6_] March 15th, 2009 08:52 PM

Andrew Carr wrote:
last year I toured France but before I went I got one of the liber-t
electronic toll cards which allowed my to pass through toll booths quickly
and easily (especially with the booths on the wrong side for my car).

this year I thought about venturing into Spain and looked to see if they had
a similar system they have but you seem to get the system from your local
Spanish bank (whereas the French just wanted my credit card number).

so does anyone know if you can get the Spanish system abroad when you don't
know anybody in Spain to send you one?

Andy

Is that this system? http://www.viat.es/
Reading it in my flakey Spanish it looks like you have to buy the
transmitter, and then they book the usage off your bank account rather
like a cellphone account. There's a list of banks as long as your arm
but - they're all Spanish banks.
There's a Wiki page here http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA-T that says
the transponder costs 35€ plus 8€ annual charge. It doesn't sound very
tourist friendly to me, but I guess the Swiss system isn't either.

I wonder if the French card would work in Spain? It says that the VIA-T
cards work on at least some of the French highways.

T.

Kiwitex71 April 5th, 2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Carr[_2_] (Post 956967)
last year I toured France but before I went I got one of the liber-t
electronic toll cards which allowed my to pass through toll booths quickly
and easily (especially with the booths on the wrong side for my car).

this year I thought about venturing into Spain and looked to see if they had
a similar system they have but you seem to get the system from your local
Spanish bank (whereas the French just wanted my credit card number).

so does anyone know if you can get the Spanish system abroad when you don't
know anybody in Spain to send you one?

Andy

Hi - I am driving from Germany to Spain in July and I need to know how to get a liber-t thingy? Is there a website in English - al the ones I get redirected to are in French. Go figure.