TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Infrequent flyer--this group has me concerned. (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=97145)

Lee Ross September 10th, 2006 05:26 PM

Infrequent flyer--this group has me concerned.

I will be flying from east coast to west coast changing planes in Los
Angles and on to Hawaii next week.

My luggage is old Samsonite (very sturdy hard side style, 25 years old.)
It can be locked with a thin key that came with the luggage, useless I'm
sure for security purposes, also a bit antiquated but the style does not
concern me.

Baggage content theft, and damaged luggage has been discussed
frequently here. Is there some sort strap with a TSA lock attached, to
wrap around my suitcase available?. Most luggage available today does
not seem nearly as strong as what I have and since I seldom fly (last
plane trip in 1994) I would like to use my old samsonite if there is a
way to better secure the contents. .Lee

nospam September 10th, 2006 06:44 PM

Infrequent flyer--this group has me concerned.

Check this site, it has a TSA approved strap as well as other security
items:
http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...products_id=88

"Lee Ross" wrote in message
I will be flying from east coast to west coast changing planes in Los
Angles and on to Hawaii next week.

My luggage is old Samsonite (very sturdy hard side style, 25 years old.)
It can be locked with a thin key that came with the luggage, useless I'm
sure for security purposes, also a bit antiquated but the style does not
concern me.

Baggage content theft, and damaged luggage has been discussed
frequently here. Is there some sort strap with a TSA lock attached, to
wrap around my suitcase available?. Most luggage available today does
not seem nearly as strong as what I have and since I seldom fly (last
plane trip in 1994) I would like to use my old samsonite if there is a
way to better secure the contents. .Lee

James Robinson September 10th, 2006 06:47 PM

(Lee Ross) wrote:

Baggage content theft, and damaged luggage has been discussed
frequently here. Is there some sort strap with a TSA lock attached, to
wrap around my suitcase available?. Most luggage available today does
not seem nearly as strong as what I have and since I seldom fly (last
plane trip in 1994) I would like to use my old samsonite if there is a
way to better secure the contents. .Lee

Theft is rare, but it does happen on occasion. You can still carry most
anything valuable on board with you, so you shouldn't be putting it in
checked luggage. If you concerned about the bag popping open or to deter a
casual thief, you can buy a simple strap to go around the bag. I've
traveled often by air for over 40 years, and have never locked my bags. Who
would want my dirty socks anyway?

Shawn Hirn September 10th, 2006 07:20 PM

Infrequent flyer--this group has me concerned.

In article ,
(Lee Ross) wrote:

I will be flying from east coast to west coast changing planes in Los
Angles and on to Hawaii next week.

My luggage is old Samsonite (very sturdy hard side style, 25 years old.)
It can be locked with a thin key that came with the luggage, useless I'm
sure for security purposes, also a bit antiquated but the style does not
concern me.

Baggage content theft, and damaged luggage has been discussed
frequently here. Is there some sort strap with a TSA lock attached, to
wrap around my suitcase available?. Most luggage available today does
not seem nearly as strong as what I have and since I seldom fly (last
plane trip in 1994) I would like to use my old samsonite if there is a
way to better secure the contents. .Lee

Everything you need to know about air travel regulations for passengers
is on the web at
http://www.tsa.gov

If I were you, I would not pack anything of value in your checked
luggage. Leave it unlocked, but put a strap around your suitcase so it
stays closed. Any luggage store will sell luggage straps for this
purpose, including the luggage departments of stores such as Target,
Sears, etc.