TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   This has to be a scam... priceline (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=75989)

Miha October 20th, 2005 06:16 AM

This has to be a scam... priceline

On priceline I put down $10 for EWR-JNU intiniary. Apparently it
accepted because it asks for the credit card and the button says
"purchase tickets"

Does anyone have any experience with this?!?!?!? This gotta be a scam...

Airline Ticket Offer Price: $1.00 per ticket
Airline Ticket Taxes & Fees: $60.05 per ticket
Number of Tickets: 2
Airline Ticket Delivery: $0.00 (Electronic Ticket)
Airfare Subtotal: $122.10
Total Trip Cost: $122.10

[email protected] October 20th, 2005 04:17 PM

Miha wrote:
On priceline I put down $10 for EWR-JNU intiniary. Apparently it
accepted because it asks for the credit card and the button says
"purchase tickets"

Does anyone have any experience with this?!?!?!? This gotta be a scam...

Airline Ticket Offer Price: $1.00 per ticket
Airline Ticket Taxes & Fees: $60.05 per ticket
Number of Tickets: 2
Airline Ticket Delivery: $0.00 (Electronic Ticket)
Airfare Subtotal: $122.10
Total Trip Cost: $122.10

You didn't read the terms and conditions over there did you?
Probably the single most common problem with Priceline is folks
not reading the rules. You were making an offer. Priceline
had yet to accept it. They get your payment information
prior to accepting it, and they mark the button as "purchase
your tickets" because if they accept your offer, the sale
is done. It isn't a scam, and it's not for everyone, especially
folks who don't read the rules. But I'm dubious they were
going to sell you the ticket for $10.

Miha October 21st, 2005 03:09 AM

wrote:
Miha wrote:
[...]

Ah... yeah, I tried it - of course it was a no go. Surprisingly,
Priceline quotes more for the same intiniary(sp?) than Alaska.

[email protected] October 22nd, 2005 01:38 AM

This has to be a scam... priceline

the sad thing is, you rarely get a huge score on priceline now. things
are standardizing as demand returns to US tourism. for a couple
wonderful years, hotel rooms were incredibly cheap.

[email protected] October 25th, 2005 07:03 PM

wrote:
the sad thing is, you rarely get a huge score on priceline now. things
are standardizing as demand returns to US tourism. for a couple
wonderful years, hotel rooms were incredibly cheap.

Yeah, I've begun to notice that my usual good deals don't seem
to be popping up anymore. I've gotten better deals through
hotwire than priceline. Airline tickets may still be a good
deal, but I suspect hotels have gone beyond the model. I suspect
from their advertising that at this point they consider
the whole bidding thing to be mostly just advertising and
market research. (It occured to me early on that if they
harvested the info correctly, they could have a huge
database of market research. Who wants to go where, when,
for how much kinda thing.)

Gregory Morrow October 26th, 2005 04:40 AM

Miha wrote:

wrote:
Miha wrote:
[...]

Airfares are so cheap these days that Priceline is rarely a good deal
for air. Priceline is still a decent source of cheap hotel rooms and
rental car deals, however...

Take a gander at this helpful site to see tips for PL bidding
strategies, etc.:

www.betterbidding.com

[I'm not affiliated with this site BTW]

--
Best
Greg

[email protected] October 26th, 2005 12:54 PM

This has to be a scam... priceline

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Miha wrote:

[snip]
Airfares are so cheap these days that Priceline is rarely a good deal
for air. Priceline is still a decent source of cheap hotel rooms and
rental car deals, however...

I haven't found good hotel deals lately. And it is in places I
used to find great ones. My last two bookings have been through
hotwire, not priceline. I suspect priceline is more interested in
their fixed price market line these days.

Take a gander at this helpful site to see tips for PL bidding
strategies, etc.:

www.betterbidding.com

And of course everyones fav

http://www.biddingfortravel.com

But watch what you post there.

Frank F. Matthews October 26th, 2005 04:12 PM

priceline -- failed strategy?

wrote:
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Miha wrote:

[snip]

Airfares are so cheap these days that Priceline is rarely a good deal
for air. Priceline is still a decent source of cheap hotel rooms and
rental car deals, however...

I haven't found good hotel deals lately. And it is in places I
used to find great ones. My last two bookings have been through
hotwire, not priceline. I suspect priceline is more interested in
their fixed price market line these days.

I guess that we have another example of a failed business strategy.
They must want to be another of the many hotel & car brokers.

Take a gander at this helpful site to see tips for PL bidding
strategies, etc.:

www.betterbidding.com

And of course everyones fav

http://www.biddingfortravel.com

But watch what you post there.

[email protected] October 26th, 2005 06:28 PM

priceline -- failed strategy?

Frank F. Matthews wrote:
wrote:

[snip]
I haven't found good hotel deals lately. And it is in places I
used to find great ones. My last two bookings have been through
hotwire, not priceline. I suspect priceline is more interested in
their fixed price market line these days.

I guess that we have another example of a failed business strategy.
They must want to be another of the many hotel & car brokers.

Well, they haven't exactly failed yet. They are "evolving".
But quite outside of the semantics, the travel business in
general has been changing for the last 10 - 20 years and
the "middle men" be they travel agents, "bucket shops" or
booking agents have been trying to adapt. "Discounters"
always have a problem in that if they are too successful,
they'll cause a shift in the market and the larger
market will move towards their prices. There is a market
for "travel assistance" basically in the sense of sorting
out the large number of choices and rates that exist.
It's not all that clear that there is a profit in it.

Gregory Morrow October 27th, 2005 06:36 AM

This has to be a scam... priceline

wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Miha wrote:

[snip]
Airfares are so cheap these days that Priceline is rarely a good deal
for air. Priceline is still a decent source of cheap hotel rooms and
rental car deals, however...

I haven't found good hotel deals lately. And it is in places I
used to find great ones. My last two bookings have been through
hotwire, not priceline. I suspect priceline is more interested in
their fixed price market line these days.

Take a gander at this helpful site to see tips for PL bidding
strategies, etc.:

www.betterbidding.com

And of course everyones fav

http://www.biddingfortravel.com

But watch what you post there.

Yep, Sheryl The Big Fat Jewess runs that site with all the charm,
panache, and joi - de - vivre of Dr. Joseph Mengele performing
anesthesia - less experimental surgery on a bunch of retarded Gypsy
kids...

--
Best
Greg