TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   best foods to eat before flight (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=174986)

techman41973 February 8th, 2012 04:59 AM

best foods to eat before flight

I've read articles about foods to avoid before a long flight (fried
foods, foods that cause bloating etc.).
But I'm looking for advice from frequent fliers on the best foods and
meals to have before a flight,
for the best comfort on a long flight, especially if you are trying
to sleep on the plane.
Thanks

bill February 8th, 2012 06:28 PM

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 20:59:02 -0800, techman41973 wrote:

I've read articles about foods to avoid before a long flight (fried
foods, foods that cause bloating etc.).
But I'm looking for advice from frequent fliers on the best foods and
meals to have before a flight,
for the best comfort on a long flight, especially if you are trying
to sleep on the plane.

Changing your routine is a sight more likely to upset you and give you a
sleepless night than any change you could make.

Just treat it like a long bus ride...

--
"Hopefully the fair wind will resume, or this may well take all day."

Admiral Collingwood on being becalmed under the guns of six French ships-
of-the-line at Trafalgar

hls February 8th, 2012 10:51 PM

"techman41973" wrote in message
I've read articles about foods to avoid before a long flight (fried
foods, foods that cause bloating etc.).
But I'm looking for advice from frequent fliers on the best foods and
meals to have before a flight,
for the best comfort on a long flight, especially if you are trying
to sleep on the plane.
Thanks

Neither overdrink nor overeat, first of all.
Avoid obvious pitfalls, which are, for some people, beans, cucumbers, etc.
Best to avoid strongly flavored foods like barbecue, chili, etc.

Otherwise, if you are not usually problemed by any particular foods,
just go with moderation.

If you have trouble sleeping, perhap a bottle of Sominex or other OTC
preparation would help, or carry melatonin (5 mg) , and take a couple
of them at sleep time along with a couple of aspirin, Tylenol PM or
other OTC analgesics.

Just my two pennies