TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=21643)

fishman November 21st, 2003 10:55 AM

Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/7313994.htm

A Key West T-shirt shop clerk has been arrested on grand theft charges after
charging a Japanese couple nearly $800 for six T-shirts.

David Rothschild, 23, a clerk at Bikini Village on Duval St., gave the
couple a written estimate of $198.89 for the six shirts, but when they got
to their hotel the pair realized their credit card had been charged $798.89.

When they returned to the shop, they said Rothschild was belligerent and
refused to refund the money.

The city has struggled for years to tamp down T-shirt fraud and on Tuesday
stiffened ordinances and increased fines.

Susette405 November 21st, 2003 12:22 PM

Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

NEver knew there was TEE SHIRT FRAUD
But you mean you do not see this on your credit card? When you sign it?
and 6 tee shirts for $198? this sound so odd...

Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 29Nov03 Navigator of the Seas
Check out our new website: www.cruiseoutlets.com

Paul Hoffman November 21st, 2003 12:39 PM

Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

--
" The only thing more expensive than hiring a professional is hiring an
amateur" Red Adair
"Susette405" wrote in message
NEver knew there was TEE SHIRT FRAUD
But you mean you do not see this on your credit card? When you sign it?
and 6 tee shirts for $198? this sound so odd...

Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 29Nov03 Navigator of the Seas
Check out our new website: www.cruiseoutlets.com

In defenseof the couple allegedly overcharges I quite often sign my credit
card receipt without verifying th echarge. I realise that this is less that
wise but my nature being what it is I often forget tocheck. Luckily to date
I have not been burned. When travelling however I do tend to be more
careful.

Paul

Paul Hoffman
Burlington ON
or

Rich Cacace November 21st, 2003 12:56 PM

Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

I'll bet some could slip one over on you in Japan next week & it might even
take you longer to figure it out.

"Susette405" wrote in message
NEver knew there was TEE SHIRT FRAUD
But you mean you do not see this on your credit card? When you sign it?
and 6 tee shirts for $198? this sound so odd...

Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 29Nov03 Navigator of the Seas
Check out our new website: www.cruiseoutlets.com

Queen of Cruising November 21st, 2003 03:27 PM

Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:55:30 -0500, "fishman"
wrote:

A Key West T-shirt shop clerk has been arrested on grand theft charges after
charging a Japanese couple nearly $800 for six T-shirts.

Who's prosecuting the Japs for selling us $.01 trinkets for $10 for
decades?

Queen of Cruising November 21st, 2003 03:28 PM

Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:37:06 GMT, (CupCaked)
wrote:

I didn't know Susette was going to Japan next week.

We can only hope.

Duck November 21st, 2003 05:13 PM

wrote:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/7313994.htm

A Key West T-shirt shop clerk has been arrested on grand theft charges after
charging a Japanese couple nearly $800 for six T-shirts.

David Rothschild, 23, a clerk at Bikini Village on Duval St., gave the
couple a written estimate of $198.89 for the six shirts, but when they got
to their hotel the pair realized their credit card had been charged $798.89.

When they returned to the shop, they said Rothschild was belligerent and
refused to refund the money.

The city has struggled for years to tamp down T-shirt fraud and on Tuesday
stiffened ordinances and increased fines.

Chit they were takin for paying $198 for 6 T-SHIRTS.
Must had gold inlay

Eileen Garland November 21st, 2003 10:25 PM

Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

Right. I always had a great time trying to figure out how to translate
something like 17,000 liras (or maybe it was pesos) to the dollar.

Eileen

Rich Cacace wrote:
I'll bet some could slip one over on you in Japan next week & it might even
take you longer to figure it out.

Murray Lundberg November 21st, 2003 11:15 PM

Queen of Cruising wrote in message . ..
Who's prosecuting the Japs for selling us $.01 trinkets for $10 for
decades?

Who's locking up Yanks for being stupid enough to pay $10 for $.01 trinkets????

Queen of Cruising November 22nd, 2003 12:07 AM

Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple

On 21 Nov 2003 15:15:33 -0800, (Murray
Lundberg) wrote:

Queen of Cruising wrote in message . ..
Who's prosecuting the Japs for selling us $.01 trinkets for $10 for
decades?

Who's locking up Yanks for being stupid enough to pay $10 for $.01 trinkets????

LOL

But that's not the point. The people getting prosecuted are the
Sellers not the Buyers in the OP thread.

"Key West T-shirt seller accused of overcharging couple"

Next time a TA tries to get me to pay a ridiculous amount more for a
cruise than say, Cruisequick, I guess I should be an American and pay
the surplus....and then seek to have them prosecuted.

Whatever happened to Caveat Emptor?