TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   RFIDs in American passports inserted by foreign contractors (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=145457)

Chrissy Cruiser[_2_] October 24th, 2008 07:11 PM

RFIDs in American passports inserted by foreign contractors

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:00:24 +0200, Anonymous Remailer wrote:

A passport factory in Thailand? Can such things be?

http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2008/...-watch-rf.html

Smartrac divulged in an October 2007 court filing in The Hague that
China had stolen its patented technology for e-passport chips, raising
additional questions about the security of America's e-passports....
--
There is apparently a little bit of communism in most New Englanders.

Bert Hyman October 24th, 2008 07:15 PM

RFIDs in American passports inserted by foreign contractors

(Chrissy Cruiser) wrote in
:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:00:24 +0200, Anonymous Remailer wrote:

A passport factory in Thailand? Can such things be?

http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2008/...-watch-rf.html

Smartrac divulged in an October 2007 court filing in The Hague that
China had stolen its patented technology for e-passport chips,
raising additional questions about the security of America's
e-passports....

Why? If the technology was covered in non-classified patents, then
anybody could learn about it by simply reading the patent documents.

Patent infringment is a matter for the courts, not a national security
issue.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Nonnymus[_7_] October 24th, 2008 08:15 PM

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:00:24 +0200, Anonymous Remailer wrote:

A passport factory in Thailand? Can such things be?

http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2008/...-watch-rf.html

Smartrac divulged in an October 2007 court filing in The Hague that
China had stolen its patented technology for e-passport chips, raising
additional questions about the security of America's e-passports....

I don't view the chip as more than an expedient when identifying a
passport. I doubt if having one would convey less scrutiny on the
holder than the paper version, but there's always the chance a lazy
customs officer would fail to do all the comparisons.

--
Nonnymus-

We have reached a time in our nations history
where the grasshopper is slowly consuming
the ant. Whatever happened that made thrift, hard
work and family the target of liberal rage?