TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   using overland agents or booking direct (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=41037)

antnee August 28th, 2004 07:30 PM

using overland agents or booking direct

I am planning a solo trip of several months to southern Africa and as
part of that, I want to book a trip with an overland company as this
seems the most economical way to do some camping in key game viewing
places (Okovango, Moremi). There are many agencies who list these
trips and will book them for the same price as going directly to the
overland company (I'm looking at Sunway and Drifters tours in
particular, but may want to use another while I'm there). Are there
advantages to using these agencies rather than booking through the
tour company? For example, certain protections if the trip goes
badly, someone to compain to other than the company itself? Or is it
perhaps inconvenient because you have to deal with a faceless call
center with people who know little about the trips you might book? Any
advice or recommendations is appreciated.

Anthony