TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Los Angeles Wilshire Boulevard (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19175)

Joe April 16th, 2004 07:48 PM

Los Angeles Wilshire Boulevard

Will be arriving in Los Angeles on Friday 23rd April and we will be staying
at the Radisson Wilshire Plaza Hotel on Friday and Saturday. Here is my
problem:
I am looking for a mic for a JVC camcorder which can only be purchased in
the States at the moment. So I have just a few hours to find a Camcorder
Store that stocks JVC equipment. Could any of you kind Los Angeles folks
suggest a store near to 3515 Wilshire Boulevard where I can buy the mic.
Many thanks,
Joe

Peter L April 16th, 2004 09:01 PM

"Joe" wrote in message
Will be arriving in Los Angeles on Friday 23rd April and we will be

staying
at the Radisson Wilshire Plaza Hotel on Friday and Saturday. Here is my
problem:
I am looking for a mic for a JVC camcorder which can only be purchased in
the States at the moment. So I have just a few hours to find a Camcorder
Store that stocks JVC equipment. Could any of you kind Los Angeles folks
suggest a store near to 3515 Wilshire Boulevard where I can buy the mic.
Many thanks,
Joe

Not knowing which model you own, I have no way of checking if the stores
have your equipment. But your best options are from these two major
electronic stores. Give them a call to see if they have what you want.
There are other locations which may be closer to your hotel:

Best Buy, 11301 W. Pico Blvd., LA, 310-268-9190
Circuit City, 4400 West Sunset, LA, 323-663-6033.

Good luck.

Go Fig April 16th, 2004 09:17 PM

Los Angeles Wilshire Boulevard

In article , Joe
wrote:

Will be arriving in Los Angeles on Friday 23rd April and we will be staying
at the Radisson Wilshire Plaza Hotel on Friday and Saturday. Here is my
problem:
I am looking for a mic for a JVC camcorder which can only be purchased in
the States at the moment. So I have just a few hours to find a Camcorder
Store that stocks JVC equipment. Could any of you kind Los Angeles folks
suggest a store near to 3515 Wilshire Boulevard where I can buy the mic.
Many thanks,

Radio Shack (on the web) will list location and will have a mic for a
camcorder.. its just a "mini-plug" right ?

High end mics can be found at Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd and many,
many other places.

jay
Fri Apr 16, 2004

Joe

Joe April 16th, 2004 10:50 PM

Los Angeles Wilshire Boulevard

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Joe
wrote:

Will be arriving in Los Angeles on Friday 23rd April and we will be

staying
at the Radisson Wilshire Plaza Hotel on Friday and Saturday. Here is my
problem:
I am looking for a mic for a JVC camcorder which can only be purchased

in
the States at the moment. So I have just a few hours to find a Camcorder
Store that stocks JVC equipment. Could any of you kind Los Angeles folks
suggest a store near to 3515 Wilshire Boulevard where I can buy the mic.
Many thanks,

Radio Shack (on the web) will list location and will have a mic for a
camcorder.. its just a "mini-plug" right ?

High end mics can be found at Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd and many,
many other places.

jay
Fri Apr 16, 2004

Many thanks for your help. Unfortunately its not a mini-plug mic. There is
some kind of electronic socket which is the width of the shoe on top of the
camcorder. The one I'm after could be JVC MZV3U . I would like to try it
out in the store to see if its the right one. Also to see if when attached,
that the mic does not come into view when I zoom out. The camcorder is the
JVC GR-DVP9EK which is very small but expensive. I want to thank PeterL for
his help also and will be phoning the numbers he gave me.
Joe

Peter L April 16th, 2004 11:00 PM

Los Angeles Wilshire Boulevard

"Joe" wrote in message

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Joe
wrote:

[...]

Each of the two stores has their own web sites (www.circuitcity.com,
www.bestbuy.com). You can check to see if they carry what you need.

PTRAVEL April 16th, 2004 11:23 PM

Los Angeles Wilshire Boulevard

"Joe" wrote in message

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Joe
wrote:

[...]

It sounds like you're talking about a microphone that mounts on the
accessory shoe. This is something that is probably specific to the
camcorder -- you won't find it at Guitar Center or Radio Shack. Best Buy
and Circuit City _might_ have it if they stock the JVC line. JVC has a
website which provides dealer locations. Why not start there and see who
carries the JVC line in Los Angeles?

[email protected] April 17th, 2004 12:36 AM

Joe wrote:

I am looking for a mic for a JVC camcorder which can only be purchased in
the States at the moment. So I have just a few hours to find a Camcorder
Store that stocks JVC equipment. Could any of you kind Los Angeles folks
suggest a store near to 3515 Wilshire Boulevard where I can buy the mic.

I would suggest Fry's Electronics: they have a website at:

http://www.outpost.com/

and a toll-free number, 1-877-OUTPOST, that will guide you to the
nearest store to the Wilshire location. A HUGE electronics superstore,
with many outlets in the LA area.

Joe April 17th, 2004 03:12 PM

wrote in message ...

Joe wrote:

I am looking for a mic for a JVC camcorder which can only be purchased

in
the States at the moment. So I have just a few hours to find a Camcorder
Store that stocks JVC equipment. Could any of you kind Los Angeles folks
suggest a store near to 3515 Wilshire Boulevard where I can buy the mic.

I would suggest Fry's Electronics: they have a website at:

http://www.outpost.com/

and a toll-free number, 1-877-OUTPOST, that will guide you to the
nearest store to the Wilshire location. A HUGE electronics superstore,
with many outlets in the LA area.

Many thanks to Azzure and PTTravel for their helpful advice. There's nothing
easy. The more I look up the net, the more I learn and the more I realize I
am chasing rainbows. We are from Ireland. We are just taking a tour of
California with Cosmos. My JVC Camcorder is a GR-DVP9EK (probably European
PAL). The USA equivalent is GR-DVP9US (probably NTSC). The hot shoe mic is
MZV3U which does not appear to be for sale in Europe. I think that the sound
part of the camcorder should be compatible with the zoom mic.Unfortunately
none of the stores suggested have the mic on their website. I think I will
phone around and thanks to all you warm hearted people for all your help,
Joe

Dennis McClendon April 17th, 2004 03:38 PM

Joe wrote:
I am looking for a mic for a JVC camcorder

You might find a news agent who stocks the US edition of Popular
Photography or Shutterbug. Those magazines have hundreds of pages of
ads from big photo stores and mail order houses. Only a couple are
actually in Southern California (Highland Park Photo comes to mind) but
any of them will ship by FedEx to your hotel.

JohnT April 17th, 2004 03:41 PM

"Joe" wrote in message

wrote in message ...

Joe wrote:

[...]

You can get it in the UK from QED but it is expensive at £121.57. See
http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=&vp=6&bg=10...&bi=0&ird=1405

The US Amazon website shows it as out of stock but it will cost US $130 to a US
Customer. They won't ship it outside the USA.

Alternatively, you can get one direct from JVC UK for £145 including postage.
See http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=MZ-V3U&catid=100022 Presumably this
includes shipping to Ireland.

I can't find it on the JVC Ireland site.

JohnT