TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=142449)

Roger Smith August 3rd, 2008 04:21 AM

africa

Has anybody been to Senegal? There was a recent article in Travel
magazine that has piqued my interest.

Marc Lurie[_1_] August 4th, 2008 07:40 AM

africa

I've been to Senegal probably 15 times, but never for a holiday,
always on business. Most times I've been in transit to somewhere else
like Gambia or Guinea-Bissau, but I have driven through the country
from Dakar via Kaolak to Faraffeni in Gambia several times.

My impression of Senegal is that it is an easy African country to
travel around in, made much easier if you speak French. It seems
pretty safe too, with reasonable infrastructure.

Airport formalities are very laid back, but you MUST have a Yellow
Fever innoculation certificate. The harassment by taxi and hotel touts
at the airport is very annoying. They are persistent and not shy of
verbally threatening timid visitors to use their services. Forget
about them, they're just blow-hard's desperate for business. If you've
booked a hotel, arrange for the hotel to collect you from the airport.

As far as going there for leisure travel, I'm afraid I can't provide
any info. except to say that some of the vistas and beaches around
Dakar look very nice indeed. I believe there are areas of
historical/geographic significance, but unfortunately I've not been
able to be tourist there yet.

Regards,
Marc

..On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 20:21:34 -0700, (Roger Smith)
wrote:

Has anybody been to Senegal? There was a recent article in Travel
magazine that has piqued my interest.

Dimond Geeza August 7th, 2008 09:43 PM

africa

On 3 Aug, 05:21, (Roger Smith) wrote:
Has anybody been to Senegal? *There was a recent article in Travel
magazine that has piqued my interest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/co...es/1064496.stm

smith21 August 28th, 2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Smith (Post 924614)
Has anybody been to Senegal? There was a recent article in Travel
magazine that has piqued my interest.

There are many travellers who go to Senegal due to its stunning coastline. There are many resorts and vistas for them to enjoy. Only one concern about it is the security situation is uncertain in the southwest region of Senegal (Casamance). Travellers are advised to be very cautious in travelling in the region.