TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Letting someone else drive my rental car. (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=109668)

[email protected] April 18th, 2007 05:55 PM

Letting someone else drive my rental car.

Hey guys. I'll be taking a cross country road trip in May and one of
my friends is under 25 will be tagging along for the ride. He won't be
doing much of the driving but in the event that I need for him to
drive for a bit, what are the risks involved with him driving but not
being on the rental agreement as an additional driver. I don't want to
add him as an additional driver because it costs way too much and he
won't be driving much.

If he's driving and we get pulled over for speeding, is it illegal for
him to not be on the rental agreement but be driving?

Also, God forbid he has an accident while driving, what're the
repercussions of that?

Thanks.

-ASR

Toller April 18th, 2007 06:10 PM

Letting someone else drive my rental car.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey guys. I'll be taking a cross country road trip in May and one of
my friends is under 25 will be tagging along for the ride. He won't be
doing much of the driving but in the event that I need for him to
drive for a bit, what are the risks involved with him driving but not
being on the rental agreement as an additional driver. I don't want to
add him as an additional driver because it costs way too much and he
won't be driving much.

If he's driving and we get pulled over for speeding, is it illegal for
him to not be on the rental agreement but be driving?

It really isn't any of the state's concern.
I can't see how the rental company could claim damages over a speeding
ticket, but they probably have lawyers working on the issue and may have
found a way to make your life miserable.

Also, God forbid he has an accident while driving, what're the
repercussions of that?

You are in breach of contract and the auto rental agency is entitled to any
damages/expenses it has as a result.
Even if your insurance covers the auto damage (and it might not if you are
in breach of contract; check with your insurance company about that one)
there are probably substantial costs to the rental company in dealing with a
damaged car. You will certainly get billed for all of that.

It is probably a bad idea.
The rental agency we used in Alaska last year didn't have a problem with my
18 year old driving. So it is not impossible, just unlikely.

sally[_1_] April 18th, 2007 06:13 PM

Letting someone else drive my rental car.

wrote in news:1176915318.547901.51600
@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
Hey guys. I'll be taking a cross country road trip in May and one of
my friends is under 25 will be tagging along for the ride. He won't be
doing much of the driving but in the event that I need for him to
drive for a bit, what are the risks involved with him driving but not
being on the rental agreement as an additional driver.

If you get a traffic ticket or get into an accident, then you will be in big
trouble.

sechumlib April 18th, 2007 06:50 PM

On 2007-04-18 12:55:18 -0400, said:

Also, God forbid he has an accident while driving, what're the
repercussions of that?

Why not ask the rental people? If you really want to know, and not just
get answers YOU consider desirable, that might be a way to find out.

Rudy[_1_] April 19th, 2007 06:30 AM

Letting someone else drive my rental car.

If he's driving and we get pulled over for speeding, is it illegal for
him to not be on the rental agreement but be driving?

No

Also, God forbid he has an accident while driving, what're the
repercussions of that?

You just had ALL the car/damage charged to YOUR credit card and
...also the damage and injury to the other vehicle /passengers too since you
are uninsured

LVTravel[_3_] April 19th, 2007 06:48 AM

Letting someone else drive my rental car.

Can't answer for all states in the Union, but in my home state, if someone
is operating a vehicle (even if the renter is there) that is not on the
rental contract it is unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Last I checked
the fine was about $500 and maybe jail time but it is a criminal matter and
the person must appear in court and the court can impose up to the statutory
maximums. The state also has a provision that if the "owner" (which in this
case would be you since you are the renter) permitted known illegal
operation of the vehicle the "owner" is also liable to the exact same
penalty. When you read the law where it says "owner" it specifically
mentions the renter of a vehicle.

I know that my insurance company will not cover any damages if I permit the
vehicle I rented to be operated in violation of the rental contract. Most
rental supplemental insurance coverage is also void if it is operated in
violation of the rental contract. Any uninsured damage and you will be
fully responsible for all expenses of the rental company, attorney fees,
vehicle down time, repairs, etc.

Either get him on the rental contract or don't let him drive.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey guys. I'll be taking a cross country road trip in May and one of
my friends is under 25 will be tagging along for the ride. He won't be
doing much of the driving but in the event that I need for him to
drive for a bit, what are the risks involved with him driving but not
being on the rental agreement as an additional driver. I don't want to
add him as an additional driver because it costs way too much and he
won't be driving much.

If he's driving and we get pulled over for speeding, is it illegal for
him to not be on the rental agreement but be driving?

Also, God forbid he has an accident while driving, what're the
repercussions of that?

Thanks.

-ASR

Everyboysmomma April 19th, 2007 12:42 PM

"sally" wrote in message
wrote in news:1176915318.547901.51600
@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
Hey guys. I'll be taking a cross country road trip in May and one of
my friends is under 25 will be tagging along for the ride. He won't be
doing much of the driving but in the event that I need for him to
drive for a bit, what are the risks involved with him driving but not
being on the rental agreement as an additional driver.

If you get a traffic ticket or get into an accident, then you will be in
big
trouble.

Your insurance will not cover anything that happens. However, I recently
rented two cars in Florida for our family (8). Because my son is only 24,
the car rental company wouldn't let me rent in his name. I rented one in
mine, one in my husband's, but the 24 year old was the only one who ever
drove that car. I KNEW I WAS ASSUMING ALL RISK. I was comfortable with
that risk (the "kid" drives huge fire trucks!!). Nothing happened, as I had
expected, but if it had, it would have all come out of my pocket.
Know and weigh your own risks. All risks will be assumed by the registered
renter.
Momma

[email protected] April 27th, 2007 10:50 PM

Letting someone else drive my rental car.

I just asked the counter-person at Dollar rental car what to do if
there was an emergency. She said to call them immediatly if someone
else would be driving the car. She said that the car would be
impounded immediatly by the police if someone is caught drivng the
vehicle that is not on the rental agreement.

Hey guys. I'll be taking a cross country road trip in May and one of
my friends is under 25 will be tagging along for the ride. He won't be
doing much of the driving but in the event that I need for him to
drive for a bit, what are the risks involved with him driving but not
being on the rental agreement as an additional driver. I don't want to
add him as an additional driver because it costs way too much and he
won't be driving much.

If he's driving and we get pulled over for speeding, is it illegal for
him to not be on the rental agreement but be driving?

Also, God forbid he has an accident while driving, what're the
repercussions of that?

Thanks.

-ASR

pltrgyst[_2_] April 28th, 2007 06:41 AM

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:50:16 GMT, wrote:

I just asked the counter-person at Dollar rental car what to do if
there was an emergency. She said to call them immediatly if someone
else would be driving the car. She said that the car would be
impounded immediatly by the police if someone is caught drivng the
vehicle that is not on the rental agreement.

And what would be the legal basis for the police doing that?

-- Larry

Alan S[_1_] April 28th, 2007 07:38 AM

Letting someone else drive my rental car.

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:41:19 -0400, pltrgyst
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:50:16 GMT, wrote:

I just asked the counter-person at Dollar rental car what to do if
there was an emergency. She said to call them immediatly if someone
else would be driving the car. She said that the car would be
impounded immediatly by the police if someone is caught drivng the
vehicle that is not on the rental agreement.

And what would be the legal basis for the police doing that?

-- Larry

Presumably, if the driver's not on the rental agreement,
then the car is being driven without the owner's permission.
The renter may not have authority to allow others to drive
under the agreement. Depending how various state laws are
written that can be considered theft of the vehicle.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic