TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New flier needs advice on first class (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=68176)

[email protected] June 8th, 2005 12:55 AM

New flier needs advice on first class

I'm going to be flying first class for the first time in a couple of weeks.
I need to decide which airline to fly from ft myers FL to Portland OR. I
would like to hear some opinions on who has the best service and luxuries in
first class. My mom went with Delta. They're okay I guess. I'm looking to
find out what you get on first class as well. One of my friends said her
dinner was served on china but my mom said her plate was regular. Thanks in
advance for the help. Only going one way in case that matters.

Majax

mrtravel June 8th, 2005 01:20 AM

ovely wrote:

I'm going to be flying first class for the first time in a couple of weeks.
I need to decide which airline to fly from ft myers FL to Portland OR. I
would like to hear some opinions on who has the best service and luxuries in
first class. My mom went with Delta. They're okay I guess. I'm looking to
find out what you get on first class as well. One of my friends said her
dinner was served on china but my mom said her plate was regular. Thanks in
advance for the help. Only going one way in case that matters.

Fly the airline that meets your schedule and/or price requirements, or
is your preferred frequent flyer account airline.
You aren't going to notice much of a difference domestically for most
flights. You might get an internationally configured aircraft or a
special coast to coast flight, but the odds are you aren't going to be
very overwhelmed by flying FC domestically. To most people, it isn't
worth the extra cost of paying for a FC ticket. There will not be china.
Even if flying first class, you might not even get a full meal.

Tchiowa June 8th, 2005 07:31 AM

ovely wrote:
I'm going to be flying first class for the first time in a couple of weeks.
I need to decide which airline to fly from ft myers FL to Portland OR. I
would like to hear some opinions on who has the best service and luxuries in
first class. My mom went with Delta. They're okay I guess. I'm looking to
find out what you get on first class as well. One of my friends said her
dinner was served on china but my mom said her plate was regular. Thanks in
advance for the help. Only going one way in case that matters.

First Class on a US domestic flight isn't much. Wider seats, maybe
leather on a narrow body. Seats recline a lot more on a wide body.

The stories you hear about meals served on china and luxury beds with
Givenchy pajamas are international First Class.

-L. June 8th, 2005 07:36 AM

Hilary wrote:

Hilary

Are you the samre Hilary from the UK who used to post at alt.newlywed?
If so, I'd love an email update from you - what's up these days?
Address in header is valid.

-Lyn
(Who used to post there long ago.)

joelamp June 8th, 2005 01:36 PM

The main features of flying in first class domestically are wider,
(much) more comfortable seats, more elbow room, more personal attention
from the flight attendants, beer/wine/liquor available at no extra
charge, better food service - and these are true of most any major
carrier which offers first class. Also, first class pax board first
and often are served a pre-departure beverage.

Frequent fliers using upgrade coupons are the main occupants of first
class these days and most appreciate the extra room and comforts.

The longer the route, the more first class is appreciated and
(generally) the better the service. Long haul domestic flights
(JFK/LAX or ORD/HNL, for example) can rival international service in
first class and, of course, as was mentioned by others intercontinental
flights are where you see a real difference in first class service.

A Mate June 9th, 2005 11:43 AM

Domestic First Class within the US is not worth any significant premium!!

wrote in message
I'm going to be flying first class for the first time in a couple of
weeks.
I need to decide which airline to fly from ft myers FL to Portland OR. I
would like to hear some opinions on who has the best service and luxuries
in
first class. My mom went with Delta. They're okay I guess. I'm looking to
find out what you get on first class as well. One of my friends said her
dinner was served on china but my mom said her plate was regular. Thanks
in
advance for the help. Only going one way in case that matters.

Majax

Rog' June 9th, 2005 02:00 PM

"A Mate" wrote...
Domestic First Class within the US is not worth any significant
premium!!

On many airlines, if you pay for a coach seat and 1st class seats
are available, you can sometimes upgrade to 1st class at the gate
for a fairly nominal charge. The trick is that the priority goes to
passengers who paid the most for their ticket and get on the
standby list first. Delta, for example, has been upgrading at the
gate for only $50 - 75 for East Coast travel. I just saw some
Army grunts in fatigues in 1st class! =R=

Alan S June 9th, 2005 11:34 PM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:00:44 -0400, "Rog'"
wrote:

"A Mate" wrote...
Domestic First Class within the US is not worth any significant
premium!!

On many airlines, if you pay for a coach seat and 1st class seats
are available, you can sometimes upgrade to 1st class at the gate
for a fairly nominal charge. The trick is that the priority goes to
passengers who paid the most for their ticket and get on the
standby list first. Delta, for example, has been upgrading at the
gate for only $50 - 75 for East Coast travel. I just saw some
Army grunts in fatigues in 1st class! =R=

Having spent some time as the equivalent in RAAF fatigues -
they should have been offered first class for no extra
charge automatically:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Rog' June 10th, 2005 12:45 AM

"Rog'" wrote:
Delta, for example, has been upgrading at the gate for
only $50 - 75 for East Coast travel. I just saw some
Army grunts in fatigues in 1st class! =R=

Having spent some time as the equivalent in RAAF
fatigues - they should have been offered first class for
no extra charge automatically:-)

Granted; however, a few of their travel-mates were still
back in coach. I wondered what they were thinking
of their compares. =R=

Dennis G. Rears June 10th, 2005 02:23 PM

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"Rog'" wrote:
Delta, for example, has been upgrading at the gate for
only $50 - 75 for East Coast travel. I just saw some
Army grunts in fatigues in 1st class! =R=

Having spent some time as the equivalent in RAAF
fatigues - they should have been offered first class for
no extra charge automatically:-)

Granted; however, a few of their travel-mates were still
back in coach. I wondered what they were thinking
of their compares. =R=

FWIW, it is against U.S. Army ethics regulations for soldiers to be in
uniform when flying in 1st class. An exception might have been made in
this case though.

dennis