TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Oyster card de-/reactivation? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=152184)

Georg Schwarz[_1_] April 17th, 2009 10:18 PM

Oyster card de-/reactivation?

I've got a non-personalised, pre-pay London Transport Oyster card that
was last used in December 2007. Must I assume it has been deactivated by
now? If I give it to someone travelling to the UK, can he top it up
again at Heathrow airport and immediately reuse it? Or does it require a
more elaborate reactivation procedure?

--
Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
+49 151 11559652

Jim Ley April 18th, 2009 08:58 AM

Oyster card de-/reactivation?

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:18:48 +0200, (Georg
Schwarz) wrote:

I've got a non-personalised, pre-pay London Transport Oyster card that
was last used in December 2007. Must I assume it has been deactivated by
now? If I give it to someone travelling to the UK, can he top it up
again at Heathrow airport and immediately reuse it? Or does it require a
more elaborate reactivation procedure?

It'll almost certainly still work fine, and still have any remaining
credit on it.

No-one's ever known of one being deactivated.

Jim.

tim..... April 18th, 2009 09:13 AM

Oyster card de-/reactivation?

"Georg Schwarz" wrote in message
e...
I've got a non-personalised, pre-pay London Transport Oyster card that
was last used in December 2007. Must I assume it has been deactivated by
now? If I give it to someone travelling to the UK, can he top it up
again at Heathrow airport and immediately reuse it? Or does it require a
more elaborate reactivation procedure?

can you open an "account" with it here?

https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/gue...method=display

Doing this anonymously will tell you the status of the card.

If you register with an address you can do more, but other comments suggest
that you can only do this with a UK address.

tim

aquachimp April 19th, 2009 11:16 AM

On Apr 17, 11:18*pm, (Georg Schwarz) wrote:
I've got a non-personalised, pre-pay London Transport Oyster card that
was last used in December 2007. Must I assume it has been deactivated by
now? If I give it to someone travelling to the UK, can he top it up
again at Heathrow airport and immediately reuse it? Or does it require a
more elaborate reactivation procedure?

--
Georg Schwarz * *http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
*+49 151 11559652

I understand (from the eurostar employee selling them) that they're
fine "valid" for 2 years. I assume that means valid for 2 years if not
topped up. What I don't know is if the 2 years then gets added to the
most recent top-up

tim..... April 19th, 2009 12:17 PM

"aquachimp" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 11:18 pm, (Georg Schwarz) wrote:
I've got a non-personalised, pre-pay London Transport Oyster card that
was last used in December 2007. Must I assume it has been deactivated by
now? If I give it to someone travelling to the UK, can he top it up
again at Heathrow airport and immediately reuse it? Or does it require a
more elaborate reactivation procedure?

--
Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
+49 151 11559652

I understand (from the eurostar employee selling them) that they're
fine "valid" for 2 years. I assume that means valid for 2 years if not
topped up. What I don't know is if the 2 years then gets added to the
most recent top-up

It's a rolling 2 years from the most recent activity [1]. Should the card
become dormant, then asking for it to be re-activated will restore the
previous credit balance

[1] though as previously commented, no-one has ever known this to happen.

tim

jpwoodruff April 20th, 2009 09:11 PM

On Apr 17, 2:18*pm, (Georg Schwarz) wrote:
I've got a non-personalised, pre-pay London Transport Oyster card that
was last used in December 2007.

This is a follow-on question from the US:

The pdf file on the official webpage says
"Travelcards on Oyster can be used across
National Rail services in London (except on
Heathrow Express and between Heathrow and
Hayes and Harlington on Heathrow Connect)"

Does this mean arriving passengers are unable to
take train to their London hotel by using Oyster?
John

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) April 20th, 2009 09:16 PM

jpwoodruff wrote:
On Apr 17, 2:18 pm, (Georg Schwarz) wrote:
I've got a non-personalised, pre-pay London Transport Oyster card
that
was last used in December 2007.

This is a follow-on question from the US:

The pdf file on the official webpage says
"Travelcards on Oyster can be used across
National Rail services in London (except on
Heathrow Express and between Heathrow and
Hayes and Harlington on Heathrow Connect)"

Does this mean arriving passengers are unable to
take train to their London hotel by using Oyster?
John

You can use it on the tube but not the Heathrow Express.

David
--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate.
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)-