TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   thanksgiving (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=168109)

news[_8_] August 4th, 2010 08:53 AM

thanksgiving

In november we go to florida and on Thanksgiving day we are in Naples.
Is ther something to do than?Where can you get a good Thanksgiving
meal?Every thing is welcome.
Ina from Germany

Rik Brown[_126_] August 4th, 2010 10:03 AM

thanksgiving

news;5017124 Wrote:
In november we go to florida and on Thanksgiving day we are in Naples.
Is ther something to do than?Where can you get a good Thanksgiving
meal? Every thing is welcome.
Ina from Germany

Some families do go out for Thanksgiving Day. Not all restaurants
close. Many hotels will feature traditional Thanksgiving Day fare so
that the wives do not have to work hard at preparing many dishes and all
the cleanup. This is getting more and more common. Also, some major
grocery stores will prepare entire Thanksgiving meals for take out. I'm
not sure, however, if they do that for small numbers of people. The
grocery stores that do this in our area, however, still close at about
5PM so the dinners must be picked up before then (and ordered in
advance).

I would contact the hotel at where you will be staying. They may have a
Thanksgiving Buffet. The bigger the hotel, the more likely they will
have a Thanksgiving Day buffet. If not, they can probably suggest a
restaurant that does or perhaps another hotel nearby.

-- Rik

--
Rik Brown
Message origin: SaavyFriends.com

K August 5th, 2010 02:27 AM

thanksgiving

news wrote:
In november we go to florida and on Thanksgiving day we are in Naples.
Is ther something to do than?Where can you get a good Thanksgiving
meal?Every thing is welcome.
Ina from Germany

In the US many restaurants close on Thanksgiving, but some will be open and
most likely offering a 'traditional' Thanksgiving dinner. Your choices
will be limited, but hotels with restaurants will of course be serving
meals. You might send an email to the city of Naples tourism website to
inquire about restaurant options, because you'll almost certainly need an
early reservation.

As to your first question, most things close on Thanksgiving, so an
afternoon with a good meal isn't a bad bet. Bring your leftovers back to
your hotel (you will surely have a lot) to have as cold snacks later. Buy
your wine the day before, or bring a bottle with you, as most purveyors will
be closed.

You might enjoy watching some of the Macy's parade in NYC on television, and
some American college football bowl games later on. Or not. In fact, if
you enjoy sports you could seek out a local high school championship game -
they are usually settled on Thanksgiving morning. It's certainly not high
culture, but it is Americana and will be a high energy event. Wherever you
sit, be sure to cheer on the team whose uniforms match the colors around
you.

It won't be hard to find some fun, but it's realistic to expect most places
to be closed for the day.

Keith

Hatunen August 5th, 2010 02:40 AM

thanksgiving

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:27:41 -0500, "K"
wrote:

news wrote:
In november we go to florida and on Thanksgiving day we are in Naples.
Is ther something to do than?Where can you get a good Thanksgiving
meal?Every thing is welcome.
Ina from Germany

In the US many restaurants close on Thanksgiving, but some will be open and
most likely offering a 'traditional' Thanksgiving dinner. Your choices
will be limited, but hotels with restaurants will of course be serving
meals. You might send an email to the city of Naples tourism website to
inquire about restaurant options, because you'll almost certainly need an
early reservation.

As to your first question, most things close on Thanksgiving, so an
afternoon with a good meal isn't a bad bet.

It may vary from locality to locality, but my experience is that
business establishments may be closed on Thanksgiving morning,
but many will open later in the afternoon.

Bring your leftovers back to
your hotel (you will surely have a lot) to have as cold snacks later.

It might be noted that taking leftover food from restaurants is
not a commonplace thing for Europeans, who seem not to have gone
through the doggy bag stage.

Buy
your wine the day before, or bring a bottle with you, as most purveyors will
be closed.

You might enjoy watching some of the Macy's parade in NYC on television, and
some American college football bowl games later on.

The televised Macy's parade has gone downhill over the decades.
Now you get to see too lttle of the parade while the network
injects adverts and the camera spends too much time on the
celebrity talking heads that have been hired to present
commentary. Of course, there are several other Thanksgiving Day
parades from other cities, but they aren't much better.

Or not. In fact, if
you enjoy sports you could seek out a local high school championship game -
they are usually settled on Thanksgiving morning.

When I was young that was the tradition, the annual Turkey Day
game between two local rivals. Unfortunately, the telivising of
national Football League games seem to have driven most of these
local games away.

It's certainly not high
culture, but it is Americana and will be a high energy event. Wherever you
sit, be sure to cheer on the team whose uniforms match the colors around
you.

Indeed. a very nice slice of Americana.

MLD August 5th, 2010 01:44 PM

thanksgiving

"K" wrote in message

news wrote:
[...]

Aside from the comments in the other posts-- Of all the holidays in the year
Thanksgiving is the one that will most likely shut down everything. Some
restaurants will be open but not many--it is the one holiday that is
considered a "Family" day, more so than Christmas, and everyone wants it
off.
Football (not soccer) is the big event all day....and all night.
MLD

- Bobb -[_2_] August 5th, 2010 05:15 PM

thanksgiving in Naples,FL

"K" wrote in message

news wrote:
In november we go to florida and on Thanksgiving day we are in Naples.
Is ther something to do than?Where can you get a good Thanksgiving
meal?Every thing is welcome.
Ina from Germany

Ina,
here is the FOOD section in the local newspaper.
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/lifestyles/food/
I did a search but I think too early for this year's advertising.
There are stories there mentioning past years ... you can search there.

Also , Tripadvisor is a good site for local info. I use that a lot when I
travel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...s_Florida.html

Try these as November approaches for updated info.

If money is no object - then there's always the big hotels - the Ritz,
LaPlaya etc have such meals but I wouldn't know the prices for 2010. check
their websites. Reservations needed ?? how far in advance ?

- Bobb -[_2_] August 5th, 2010 05:17 PM

thanksgiving in Naples,FL

Here's one thread from 2009:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...s_Florida.html