TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Getting insurance (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=158355)

Hiram September 18th, 2009 05:09 PM

Getting insurance

I seem to be having trouble getting a reasonable quote for travel
insurance that is longer than 30 days.

I was going to go to Oz for a couple of months, but can't find any
insurance.

TIA

Rudy[_1_] September 18th, 2009 10:42 PM

Getting insurance

"Hiram" wrote in message
I seem to be having trouble getting a reasonable quote for travel insurance
that is longer than 30 days.

What exactly do you mean by "travel insurance"?

A Mate[_2_] September 19th, 2009 01:37 AM

Getting insurance

Can't help you. Australian travel insurance companies offer travel insurance
policies for lengthy periods - but that's for policies written in Australia.

Try asking in a travel forum Lonely Planet Thorn Tree or something similar -
Virtual Tourist; or Trip Advisor Forum.

"Hiram" wrote in message
I seem to be having trouble getting a reasonable quote for travel insurance
that is longer than 30 days.

I was going to go to Oz for a couple of months, but can't find any
insurance.

TIA

John H September 19th, 2009 02:22 AM

Getting insurance

Why not ask your agent who arranged your travel flights accomodation etc.

"Hiram" wrote in message
I seem to be having trouble getting a reasonable quote for travel insurance
that is longer than 30 days.

I was going to go to Oz for a couple of months, but can't find any
insurance.

TIA

Hiram September 19th, 2009 08:38 AM

Getting insurance

Rudy wrote:
"Hiram" wrote in message
I seem to be having trouble getting a reasonable quote for travel insurance
that is longer than 30 days.

What exactly do you mean by "travel insurance"?

I thought that was a generic term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_insurance

Hiram September 19th, 2009 08:40 AM

Getting insurance

John H wrote:
Why not ask your agent who arranged your travel flights accomodation etc.

I've tried a few high street agents - all the same story, 30 days max
for travel cover. I want to make sure I have cover before I book the
flights.

A Mate wrote:

Try asking in a travel forum Lonely Planet Thorn Tree or something similar -
Virtual Tourist; or Trip Advisor Forum.

OK cheers...

[email protected] September 19th, 2009 09:26 AM

Getting insurance

[Default] On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:40:19 +0100, Hiram
offered the following words of wisdom:

John H wrote:
Why not ask your agent who arranged your travel flights accomodation etc.

I've tried a few high street agents - all the same story, 30 days max
for travel cover. I want to make sure I have cover before I book the
flights.

Maybe things are different in the UK (if that's where you're
travelling from). But in New Zealand, we get our travel insurance
through our health insurance provider, Southern Cross. But the rate
goes up considerably if we spend any time in the USA. Otherwise, there
are several insurance companies that offer similar products.

Also, some credit cards like MasterCard or charge cards like AMEX
offer free travel insurance if you pay for your flights with their
card.

My advice: look in your Yellow Pages and ring around the insurance
companies.

Hiram September 19th, 2009 12:51 PM

Getting insurance

lid wrote:

Maybe things are different in the UK (if that's where you're
travelling from). But in New Zealand, we get our travel insurance
through our health insurance provider,

That would be nice if I could - but we have a state health system, so
the private health system is really small. I don't have health
insurance unless I travel outside the UK.

Also, some credit cards like MasterCard or charge cards like AMEX
offer free travel insurance if you pay for your flights with their
card.

Yeah this has crossed my mind

My advice: look in your Yellow Pages and ring around the insurance
companies.

Yep, could do that, but I was kinda hoping to use the Internet.

Joseph Coulter[_6_] September 19th, 2009 04:28 PM

Getting insurance

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:09:00 +0100, Hiram wrote:

I seem to be having trouble getting a reasonable quote for travel
insurance that is longer than 30 days.

I was going to go to Oz for a couple of months, but can't find any
insurance.

TIA

I see that you have discovered one of the little quirks in the
"vacation" industry. 30 day maximum coverage for most travel plans is
fairly standard as they are designed for travel on vacation.

What you seem to be looking for is longer term health coverage while
in Australia and I think that the advice given to seek a more
traditional insurance provider has merit.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com