TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   desert bloom (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=62759)

jcoulter March 27th, 2005 10:44 PM

desert bloom

Is it too late to catch desert bloom this year? If not, where is the best
place to go for bloom this time of year.

Thnaks

Icono Clast March 28th, 2005 11:40 AM

jcoulter wrote:
Is it too late to catch desert bloom this year?

Although I don't know, I believe it is. Y'gotta go when it's first
announced at the risk of missing it.
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

BruceB March 28th, 2005 03:36 PM

"jcoulter" wrote in message
Is it too late to catch desert bloom this year? If not, where is the best
place to go for bloom this time of year.

Thnaks

There's a lot of stuff blooming in Arizona through June at least. We were
in Sedona last June, and the cacti had flowers all over.

Don't look for much pretty desert in California.

Also, the desert around Tucson is always beautiful.

Bruce

Bill March 28th, 2005 03:38 PM

Is it too late to catch desert bloom this year?

In the low desert areas near Phoenix it was peak the first two weeks of
March, then we had two days with temperatures in the high 80's and many
flowers dried out. Still blooming but past peak.

If not, where is the best
place to go for bloom this time of year.

Phoenix is around 1,000 ft above sea level ... I'd guess places 2,000 -
4,000 ft would be peaking later? I doubt the California Poppy Preserve
areas have approached peak yet, for example, though I could be wrong.
Anyone know?

Bill March 28th, 2005 03:38 PM

Is it too late to catch desert bloom this year?

In the low desert areas near Phoenix it was peak the first two weeks of
March, then we had two days with temperatures in the high 80's and many
flowers dried out. Still blooming but past peak.

If not, where is the best
place to go for bloom this time of year.

Phoenix is around 1,000 ft above sea level ... I'd guess places 2,000 -
4,000 ft would be peaking later? I doubt the California Poppy Preserve
areas have approached peak yet, for example, though I could be wrong.
Anyone know?

[email protected] March 28th, 2005 03:41 PM

Is it too late to catch desert bloom this year?

I don't know, but you might try checking the official web
sites for the various U.S. parks in desert areas (Death
Valley, etc.). They might say, and if not you can get
their phone numbers or email addresses from the
sites and send your question directly to them. I'm
sure it's a question they get a lot.

(Calling would obviously be quickest; I've found that
they often take a few days to reply to emails.)

Jim

Patty Winter March 28th, 2005 07:46 PM

In article . net,
BruceB wrote:

Don't look for much pretty desert in California.

Visitors to the Carrizo Plain, Death Valley, Anza-Borrego, etc.
will disagree with you about that. And I've been seeing reports
from people who say this is the best year they've ever seen.

This page:

http://www.nps.gov/deva/FrameSet-Wildflower.htm

has a link to a PDF file with the latest update. (The last one
was done on Saturday.)

Here's the main page for Anza-Borrego Desert SP:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=638

And for Carrizo Plain NM:

http://www.ca.blm.gov/bakersfield/carrizoplain.html

(I swear there used to be a really good wildflower update
page for Carrizo, but I can't find it now. The main wildflower
page is at http://www.ca.blm.gov/caso/wildflowers.html.)

Patty

Don Kirkman March 28th, 2005 08:13 PM

It seems to me I heard somewhere that BruceB wrote in article
. net:

"jcoulter" wrote in message
. ..
Is it too late to catch desert bloom this year? If not, where is the best
place to go for bloom this time of year.

There's a lot of stuff blooming in Arizona through June at least. We were
in Sedona last June, and the cacti had flowers all over.

Don't look for much pretty desert in California.

Except for the acres and acres of California poppies in the Antelope
Valley California Poppy Reserve
[http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=627], the yuccas and Joshua
trees throughout the deserts, and the several desert sites described at
http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html. A (not very technically good)
picture of the AVCPR poppy fields is at
http://www.lnholt.com/wildflowers/, which also describes a number of
other viewing sites in Southern California.
--
Don

MadHatter March 28th, 2005 08:22 PM

I was at Anza-Borrego on 3/12 and 3/20, and it the flowers were doing
pretty good. The wildflower update page is here...
http://www.anzaborrego.statepark.org/wildflowers.html
The shots I got are here...
http://www.pbase.com/madhatter/abdsp

We went to Joshua Tree National Park on the 26th. The southern portion
is still blooming rather nicely. I heard that the northern section is
just starting to come into bloom, but we didn't have time to check it
out.