TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Security in KL (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=43550)

Alfred Molon September 24th, 2004 10:57 PM

Security in KL

Hi,

we are flying to KL in December. My Malaysian wife who routinely reads
the news in chinapress.com.my keeps telling me that the security
situation in KL has worsened substantially over the last few years.

When I'm in KL I'm used to go to the Citibank branch in Jalan Ampang
even late at night and get larger amounts of cash from the ATM. Now my
wife insists that I stop doing that, because she read stories that
people will wait near the ATM, then follow people who took larger
amounts of cash to steal it from them. She also told me that if you stop
with your car at the red traffic light, it can happen that somebody will
open the car door, threaten you with a knife and steal your money. And
so on.

All this makes me wonder if the security situation in KL has really
deteriorated so much...?
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Prague,
Budapest and Portugal

PeterL September 24th, 2004 11:17 PM

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Hi,

we are flying to KL in December. My Malaysian wife who routinely reads
the news in chinapress.com.my keeps telling me that the security
situation in KL has worsened substantially over the last few years.

When I'm in KL I'm used to go to the Citibank branch in Jalan Ampang
even late at night and get larger amounts of cash from the ATM. Now my
wife insists that I stop doing that, because she read stories that
people will wait near the ATM, then follow people who took larger
amounts of cash to steal it from them.

That's probably a good advice for any parts of the world.

She also told me that if you stop
with your car at the red traffic light, it can happen that somebody will
open the car door, threaten you with a knife and steal your money. And
so on.

Again, happens at big cities all over the world, just that it's sensational
when it happens. In reality not that frequent.

[...]

Waseem S. September 25th, 2004 12:26 AM

Visited Malaysia in July this year and spent about 5 days in KL. Never
felt in danger.
I too read those reports before I left and was wondering myself. You
just need to use
basic common sense when in any big city. Since your wife is Malaysian,
she should
talk to her relatives in KL so she can get some feedback.

regards
waseem

Alfred Molon wrote:

Hi,

we are flying to KL in December. My Malaysian wife who routinely reads
the news in chinapress.com.my keeps telling me that the security
situation in KL has worsened substantially over the last few years.

When I'm in KL I'm used to go to the Citibank branch in Jalan Ampang
even late at night and get larger amounts of cash from the ATM. Now my
wife insists that I stop doing that, because she read stories that
people will wait near the ATM, then follow people who took larger
amounts of cash to steal it from them. She also told me that if you stop
with your car at the red traffic light, it can happen that somebody will
open the car door, threaten you with a knife and steal your money. And
so on.

All this makes me wonder if the security situation in KL has really
deteriorated so much...?

TestMan September 25th, 2004 03:12 AM

security is not worse than any other major cities!

Use common sense when withdrawing large amount of cash!

[...]

Dave Baker September 25th, 2004 03:17 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:57:04 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

All this makes me wonder if the security situation in KL has really
deteriorated so much...?

Presumably as you have a Malaysian wife you have been/lived her before so you
know the previous situation.

I've also been here on & off (mostly on) since 1982, and I still feel safe
doing my normal activities. I still get money from ATMs at night if
necessary. I lock my doors when i drive, but I've always done that. I put my
wallet in my front pocket when I go to Petaling Street or similar places, but
that's about it.

As someone else said - take the normal precautions & you'll be fine. I got
robbed (pickpocketed) in Paris a couple of years back after only 3 hours in
the country! :-) I'm sure they can spot the tourists a mile away.
I've never been robbed or even really had any problems in more than 17 years
in Malaysia.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.

wrote:

[...]

Focus September 25th, 2004 03:31 AM

Play it safe or else get a bodyguard!
Withdraw money in broad daylight and when there are plenty of people around
and make sure no one is following you.
If you get accosted, just give your money away. Which ATM are you going to
:-))

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Hi,

we are flying to KL in December. My Malaysian wife who routinely reads
the news in chinapress.com.my keeps telling me that the security
situation in KL has worsened substantially over the last few years.

Focus September 25th, 2004 03:31 AM

Play it safe or else get a bodyguard!
Withdraw money in broad daylight and when there are plenty of people around
and make sure no one is following you.
If you get accosted, just give your money away. Which ATM are you going to
:-))

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Hi,

we are flying to KL in December. My Malaysian wife who routinely reads
the news in chinapress.com.my keeps telling me that the security
situation in KL has worsened substantially over the last few years.

Alex September 25th, 2004 04:22 AM

Hi Alfred,

DO have a pleasant stay when you are here.

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Hi,

we are flying to KL in December. My Malaysian wife who routinely reads
the news in chinapress.com.my keeps telling me that the security
situation in KL has worsened substantially over the last few years.

Please have my 2cents worth, Chinese newspapers (particularly China Press)
usually put crime stories prominently on its frontpage to attract readers.
This can give a very inaccurate representation about the security situation
in the country. But do not panic for now.

Snatch thefs had been around for decades, my wife was a victim to these
snatch thieves a decade ago. However, I would say that one has to have
security-consciousness wherever you are (regardless of whether you are in
Malaysia, US, or anywhere in the world).

When I'm in KL I'm used to go to the Citibank branch in Jalan Ampang
even late at night and get larger amounts of cash from the ATM. Now my
wife insists that I stop doing that, because she read stories that
people will wait near the ATM, then follow people who took larger
amounts of cash to steal it from them. She also told me that if you stop
with your car at the red traffic light, it can happen that somebody will
open the car door, threaten you with a knife and steal your money. And
so on.

This has also been around for decades. This is not new.

-Alex