TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   driving from yosemite to vegas (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=42265)

Lonnieanixt September 14th, 2004 01:48 AM

driving from yosemite to vegas

whats the quickest way.
will be done in late september or early october.
thanks in advance

Ken September 14th, 2004 01:51 AM

(Lonnieanixt) wrote in news:20040913204859.24934.00000867
@mb-m28.aol.com:
whats the quickest way.
will be done in late september or early october.

Depends on where in Yosemite you are starting from, but I would take US-395
even it were longer than I-5. I-5 is really boring.

Icono Clast September 14th, 2004 11:11 AM

Ken wrote:
(Lonnieanixt) wrote:
whats the quickest way.
will be done in late september or early october.

Depends on where in Yosemite you are starting from, but I would take US-395

I did. A few months ago. Mentioned it here. Beautiful trip!
Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

[email protected] September 14th, 2004 06:47 PM

Ken wrote:
(Lonnieanixt) wrote in news:20040913204859.24934.00000867
whats the quickest way.
will be done in late september or early october.

Depends on where in Yosemite you are starting from, but I would take US-395
even it were longer than I-5. I-5 is really boring.

But Tioga Pass is usually closed by October. Quickest way then would be
99 to 58 and then over to 15.

Ken September 14th, 2004 07:29 PM

wrote in :
will be done in late september or early october.

Depends on where in Yosemite you are starting from, but I would take
US-395 even it were longer than I-5. I-5 is really boring.

But Tioga Pass is usually closed by October.

Definately check road conditions before you travel in the mountains, but as
far as I know, Tioga Pass has been open through the end of October every year
in this century. See:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm
Sometimes it is still open in December.

wrote in :
will be done in late september or early october.

Depends on where in Yosemite you are starting from, but I would take
US-395 even it were longer than I-5. I-5 is really boring.

But Tioga Pass is usually closed by October.

Definately check road conditions before you travel in the mountains, but as
far as I know, Tioga Pass has been open through the end of October every year
in this century. See:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm
Sometimes it is still open in December.

Patty Winter September 14th, 2004 07:58 PM

In article , Ken wrote:
wrote in :

But Tioga Pass is usually closed by October.

Definately check road conditions before you travel in the mountains, but as
far as I know, Tioga Pass has been open through the end of October every year
in this century. See: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm

Yeah, it would be very unusual for it to be closed in early October.
However, the first Thursday or Friday of October some years ago, a
friend and I had to take a different route to get to Mammoth because
Tioga Pass was closed when we had to make our decision. It opened
later in the afternoon, but we didn't want to take the chance and
risk getting turned back when we were already partway across Yosemite.

So as Ken says, keep a close eye on the weather reports. But chances
are, you'll be fine.

Patty

Ken September 14th, 2004 09:19 PM

(Patty Winter) wrote in
:
Yeah, it would be very unusual for it to be closed in early October.
However, the first Thursday or Friday of October some years ago, a
friend and I had to take a different route to get to Mammoth because
Tioga Pass was closed when we had to make our decision.

Sometimes the road is temporarily (like a few hours or overnight) closed due to
an early season snow storm. In October, the snow usually melts pretty quickly.
You can get road conditions on the Internet, over the radio, or from local
hotels and gas stations.

Patty Winter September 14th, 2004 10:12 PM

In article , Ken wrote:
(Patty Winter) wrote in
:
However, the first Thursday or Friday of October some years ago, a
friend and I had to take a different route to get to Mammoth because
Tioga Pass was closed when we had to make our decision.

Sometimes the road is temporarily (like a few hours or overnight) closed due to
an early season snow storm. In October, the snow usually melts pretty quickly.

Er, yeah, I think that's what I was saying. :-) Hence my comment about
the road reopening in the afternoon. But we couldn't be sure it would
reopen before we got there, so we did the safe thing and took an
alternate route.

Patty

Patty Winter September 14th, 2004 10:12 PM

In article , Ken wrote:
(Patty Winter) wrote in
: