TravelBanter

-   Latin America (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   pan american highway (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=111973)

[email protected] May 11th, 2007 03:10 AM

pan american highway

hi looking for anyone who has traveled it,......1. is it safe...2..what
is the cost of rental car per week...and any general infro. that may be
helpful thankx

G&G May 11th, 2007 09:51 PM

pan american highway

We've traveled on it several times in Costa Rica.
Lots of traffic, big trucks, crazy drivers, potholes.
Renting a car isn't that much more than in the U.S., but the insurance
coverage is a must and very expensive.
Pura Vida,
wrote in message
hi looking for anyone who has traveled it,......1. is it safe...2..what
is the cost of rental car per week...and any general infro. that may be
helpful thankx

medvall May 11th, 2007 09:54 PM

pan american highway

Hello there,

With a rental car I doubt you can cross the borders. Rental cars are
like in the US + some extra on an average from my experience.

For each country you need a temporary import permit at the border -
takes roughly 1-3 hours.

I would not have driven unless I had a title with no lien holders or
loans for that matter.

Best wishes, Marcus
http://tomopt.com

On May 10, 8:10 pm, wrote:
hi looking for anyone who has traveled it,......1. is it safe...2..what
is the cost of rental car per week...and any general infro. that may be
helpful thankx

Helene May 12th, 2007 05:19 AM

pan american highway

wrote in message ...
| hi looking for anyone who has traveled it,......1. is it safe...2..what
| is the cost of rental car per week...and any general infro. that may be
| helpful thankx

Which country, which part ?
Certainly from Pacasmayo in northern Perú to Castro in Isla de Chiloe, Chile it is bitumen.
Don't bother with driving, get on a bus, they are comfortable, plentiful and cheap.

cheers, H, tasmania, australia