TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hotel Location and Choice in Shanghai (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=122189)

Walt Bilofsky October 3rd, 2007 08:06 PM

Hotel Location and Choice in Shanghai

The first time we visited Shanghai, we stayed at a hotel at People's
Square and the start of Nanjing Lu. Pricey but a great location for
tourists. We love to walk and shop and try different restaurants.

Now we're going back, and have been offered a great deal at a hotel in
Xuhui, a few blocks from the Hengshan Lu metro station. Question is,
would we like that area? The alternative is to go back where we
stayed last time, which we like but have already explored.

PeterL October 3rd, 2007 10:41 PM

On Oct 3, 12:06 pm, Walt Bilofsky wrote:
The first time we visited Shanghai, we stayed at a hotel at People's
Square and the start of Nanjing Lu. Pricey but a great location for
tourists. We love to walk and shop and try different restaurants.

Now we're going back, and have been offered a great deal at a hotel in
Xuhui, a few blocks from the Hengshan Lu metro station. Question is,
would we like that area? The alternative is to go back where we
stayed last time, which we like but have already explored.

Hengshan Lu station on Line 1? It's a great location. Whether you'd
like that area, I don't know. But I liked it a lot.

Walt Bilofsky October 3rd, 2007 10:56 PM

PeterL wrote:

On Oct 3, 12:06 pm, Walt Bilofsky wrote:
The first time we visited Shanghai, we stayed at a hotel at People's
Square and the start of Nanjing Lu. Pricey but a great location for
tourists. We love to walk and shop and try different restaurants.

Now we're going back, and have been offered a great deal at a hotel in
Xuhui, a few blocks from the Hengshan Lu metro station. Question is,
would we like that area? The alternative is to go back where we
stayed last time, which we like but have already explored.

Hengshan Lu station on Line 1? It's a great location. Whether you'd
like that area, I don't know. But I liked it a lot.

Thanks, Peter. Can you tell me something about it? How's the tourist
shopping around there (handicrafts, books, interesting local stuff,
not designer brands)?

PeterL October 4th, 2007 06:55 AM

On Oct 3, 2:56 pm, Walt Bilofsky wrote:
PeterL wrote:
On Oct 3, 12:06 pm, Walt Bilofsky wrote:
The first time we visited Shanghai, we stayed at a hotel at People's
Square and the start of Nanjing Lu. Pricey but a great location for
tourists. We love to walk and shop and try different restaurants.

Now we're going back, and have been offered a great deal at a hotel in
Xuhui, a few blocks from the Hengshan Lu metro station. Question is,
would we like that area? The alternative is to go back where we
stayed last time, which we like but have already explored.

Hengshan Lu station on Line 1? It's a great location. Whether you'd
like that area, I don't know. But I liked it a lot.

Thanks, Peter. Can you tell me something about it? How's the tourist
shopping around there (handicrafts, books, interesting local stuff,
not designer brands)?

Several malls, lots of shops on the streets. Lots of restaurants in
the area. But I don't know if there are handicrafts or local stuff.
I have seen a couple of Chinese bookstores.