TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pansy Shells - Sand Dollars - how to display? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=80356)

ger January 2nd, 2006 06:11 PM

Pansy Shells - Sand Dollars - how to display?

On a recent trip to Mozambique I collected lots of pansy shells (sand
dollars to our American cousins!!).
I want to display them but they are extremely brittle.
I have tried varnish and also resin to harden them.
But both of these substances cause the shell to lose its lovely white colour
and turn an ugly dirty yellow.
Anyone got any ideas on how to strengthen them and yet preserve the colour?
(hope this is not too far off topic)

Ger

[email protected] March 11th, 2013 06:22 PM

On Monday, January 2, 2006 8:11:06 PM UTC+2, ger wrote:
On a recent trip to Mozambique I collected lots of pansy shells (sand
dollars to our American cousins!!).
I want to display them but they are extremely brittle.
I have tried varnish and also resin to harden them.
But both of these substances cause the shell to lose its lovely white colour
and turn an ugly dirty yellow.
Anyone got any ideas on how to strengthen them and yet preserve the colour?
(hope this is not too far off topic)

Ger

Hi,
I also collected lots of pansy shells in Mozambique.
Did you get any feedback about how to strengthen them?

We are renovating a bathroom and I like to make tiles out of them and need a way how to preserve them, thought of resin and had varnished some...
Please advice

Su