TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   world's worst tourists (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7333)

Blackden October 7th, 2003 06:10 PM

world's worst tourists

Brits were judged the least welcome tourists in an Expedia survey this
summer, but European stereotypes of the Ugly American tourist are
still common, and Israeli and Australian tourists are often said to
match the British for rudeness and drunken misbehaviour respectively.
Does anyone have any anecdotes relating to this? Who *are* the world's
worst tourists?

Peter L October 7th, 2003 06:13 PM

world's worst tourists

"Blackden" wrote in message
m...
Brits were judged the least welcome tourists in an Expedia survey this
summer, but European stereotypes of the Ugly American tourist are
still common, and Israeli and Australian tourists are often said to
match the British for rudeness and drunken misbehaviour respectively.
Does anyone have any anecdotes relating to this? Who *are* the world's
worst tourists?

Anyone who goes about worrying about who is the world's worst tourist.

Jenn October 7th, 2003 06:44 PM

world's worst tourists

In article ,
(Blackden) wrote:

Brits were judged the least welcome tourists in an Expedia survey this
summer, but European stereotypes of the Ugly American tourist are
still common, and Israeli and Australian tourists are often said to
match the British for rudeness and drunken misbehaviour respectively.
Does anyone have any anecdotes relating to this? Who *are* the world's
worst tourists?

after this was discussed last spring, I paid particular attention during
my 3 months in Europe this summer -- the Brits win hands down for
boorish behavior [of course MOST Brits like most everyone else is
perfectly charming and decent] Oddly enough Portuguese were unusually
boorish [my favorite was the group of Portuguese who literally stood at
the head of a buffet line, eating and talking and blocking everyone else
from the food]

a few rude Germans, a couple of not exactly rude but certainly clueless
Americans

richard October 7th, 2003 07:37 PM

world's worst tourists

arn't we all. :)

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:44:16 -0500, Jenn wrote:

clueless
Americans

Frank F. Matthews October 7th, 2003 07:41 PM

world's worst tourists

Don't be silly. The world's worst tourists are the folks sitting next
to you. And they have the same attitude. By the way the "Ugly
American" was a good guy and respectful of the local culture. He was
just old and wrinkled -- thus ugly to the biased locals. FFM

Blackden wrote:

Brits were judged the least welcome tourists in an Expedia survey this
summer, but European stereotypes of the Ugly American tourist are
still common, and Israeli and Australian tourists are often said to
match the British for rudeness and drunken misbehaviour respectively.
Does anyone have any anecdotes relating to this? Who *are* the world's
worst tourists?

fj October 7th, 2003 08:05 PM

world's worst tourists

Singaporians, without a doubt.

Jump lines.
Talk loudly in their sing song voices.
Pile their plates high with food at buffets, but never finishing.
Bargain for one tenth of the asking price.
Taking up 2 coach seats per person.
Mock local culture.
The worst are those singaporians that travel in large extended
families.....grandparents, spoilt brats, maids, and the boorish
peasant cousins........

Frank Slootweg October 7th, 2003 08:12 PM

world's worst tourists

Blackden wrote:
Brits were judged the least welcome tourists in an Expedia survey this
summer, but European stereotypes of the Ugly American tourist are
still common, and Israeli and Australian tourists are often said to
match the British for rudeness and drunken misbehaviour respectively.
Does anyone have any anecdotes relating to this? Who *are* the world's
worst tourists?

On our last holiday in Oz, the worst tourist was German and the best
was German. Which proves? Indeed, absolutely nothing.

The answer to your last question probably is: The world's worst
tourists.

 @X.  October 7th, 2003 08:45 PM

world's worst tourists

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:05:57 +0800, fj wrote:

Singaporians, without a doubt.

Jump lines.
Talk loudly in their sing song voices.
Pile their plates high with food at buffets, but never finishing.
Bargain for one tenth of the asking price.
Taking up 2 coach seats per person.
Mock local culture.
The worst are those singaporians that travel in large extended
families.....grandparents, spoilt brats, maids, and the boorish
peasant cousins........

Funny you mentioned that. I noticed this for the first time when on
my last flight home from Asia. I was on a EVA air flight that also
had a large group of Singaporians. They wouldn't sit down. Talked
loudly the whole trip when everyone else was trying to sleep and they
stole everything on the plane that was not glued down. Silverware,
dinner dishes, trays, head set's, air sickness bags,pillows, blankets,
etc. I was kind of surprised because I had a much different image of
Singapore in my head than what I saw on that plane.

tim October 7th, 2003 09:38 PM

world's worst tourists

@X. wrote in message ...
[...]

probably because when they're at home they can't take a **** without
permission from some government body, so when they're away from
home they take the opportunity to be naughty

tim

Keith Willshaw October 7th, 2003 09:50 PM

world's worst tourists

"Blackden" wrote in message
m...
Brits were judged the least welcome tourists in an Expedia survey this
summer, but European stereotypes of the Ugly American tourist are
still common, and Israeli and Australian tourists are often said to
match the British for rudeness and drunken misbehaviour respectively.
Does anyone have any anecdotes relating to this? Who *are* the world's
worst tourists?

Everybody but me :)

Keith