TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Barge Hire on English Rivers ? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=181216)

Travel_Poster May 12th, 2014 11:44 AM

Barge Hire on English Rivers ?

Anyone ever hired a barge/riverboat in England?

The wife and I fancy doing this. Is a licence/permit required? Companies
doing this sort of stuff? Costs?

Thanks.

--
Travel Poster

Surreyman[_3_] May 12th, 2014 11:52 AM

On Monday, May 12, 2014 11:44:57 AM UTC+1, Travel_Poster wrote:
Anyone ever hired a barge/riverboat in England?

The wife and I fancy doing this. Is a licence/permit required? Companies

doing this sort of stuff? Costs?

Thanks.

--

Travel Poster

Such services are available all over.
No 'driving licence' required! Most services will give an hour or so's tuition to start you off.
Just Google the area/canal you favour and there'll be online info abounding!
Longboats on canals are maybe the most popular, or (which we favour) 2/4 berth riverboats on, for instance, the Norfolk Broads, Thames, etc.

Enjoy!

Jack Campin May 12th, 2014 05:26 PM

Barge Hire on English Rivers ?

Anyone ever hired a barge/riverboat in England?

Once. It went horribly wrong but I might think about doing it again.

The wife and I fancy doing this. Is a licence/permit required?
Companies doing this sort of stuff? Costs?

If you've never done it before, stick to canals. Rivers are a lot
more challenging, and I doubt if anybody would allow a newbie to
hire a boat and take it out on one. You can get to a lot of places
by canal.

uk.rec.waterways is the place to ask.

Surreyman[_3_] May 13th, 2014 08:28 AM

Barge Hire on English Rivers ?

On Monday, May 12, 2014 12:17:06 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 12 May 2014 03:52:42 -0700 (PDT), Surreyman

wrote:

On Monday, May 12, 2014 11:44:57 AM UTC+1, Travel_Poster wrote:

Anyone ever hired a barge/riverboat in England?

The wife and I fancy doing this. Is a licence/permit required? Companies

doing this sort of stuff? Costs?

Thanks.

--

Travel Poster

Such services are available all over.

No 'driving licence' required! Most services will give an hour or so's tuition to start you off.

Just Google the area/canal you favour and there'll be online info abounding!

Longboats on canals are maybe the most popular, or (which we favour) 2/4 berth riverboats on, for instance, the Norfolk Broads, Thames, etc.

Narrowboats!

The BBC used Anglo Welsh in a recent canal series

http://www.anglowelsh.co.uk/

The best place to ask for info is uk.rec.waterways

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

The Vikings didn't use narrowboats .............
Obviously my own Anglo-Welsh came into play ...
Sorry! :-))

Surreyman[_3_] May 13th, 2014 08:33 AM

On Monday, May 12, 2014 5:26:45 PM UTC+1, Jack Campin wrote:
Anyone ever hired a barge/riverboat in England?

Once. It went horribly wrong but I might think about doing it again.

The wife and I fancy doing this. Is a licence/permit required?

Companies doing this sort of stuff? Costs?

If you've never done it before, stick to canals. Rivers are a lot

more challenging, and I doubt if anybody would allow a newbie to

hire a boat and take it out on one. You can get to a lot of places

by canal.

uk.rec.waterways is the place to ask.

Take your point, although the Broads are wide open to newbies (sometimes unfortunately) including tidal waters which has caused some mooring humour! :-))
I don't think river cruiser hirers would turn down newbies either.
But canals are inherently easier, no doubt, and perhaps the best choice for learners.
Have just returned from a Force 7 crossing of the Solent in a friend's cruiser, which was 'interesting'! :-))