TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=99940)

Ray Goldenberg November 5th, 2006 10:05 PM

First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

On 5 Nov 2006 13:25:36 -0800, wrote:

. The new
federal passport laws go into effect on January 1, 2007.

Hi Everyone,

As a clarification, the new passport law for cruisers was postponed
and does NOT go into effect on January 1, 2007.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

Dick G[_3_] November 5th, 2006 10:35 PM

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
On 5 Nov 2006 13:25:36 -0800, wrote:

. The new
federal passport laws go into effect on January 1, 2007.

Hi Everyone,

As a clarification, the new passport law for cruisers was postponed
and does NOT go into effect on January 1, 2007.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Yes, Ray, but Eve, the original poster appears to have posted from an ISP in
Poland, which would change all of the rules.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Charles[_1_] November 5th, 2006 11:00 PM

First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

In article , Dick G
wrote:

Yes, Ray, but Eve, the original poster appears to have posted from an ISP in
Poland, which would change all of the rules.

That is the e-mail address they show in their "From header" but it was
posted from Verizon Net. Just like your "From header" reads @nosuch.com
and you posted from Comcast you can't go by the From header. By the way
there is a nosuch.com domain so I hope you actually own that e-mail
address there. If not, and I doubt it, you should not use that address.
If you want to use a fake domain to munge your e-mail address use
@.invalid or @.example or @.localhost or @.test because no DNS activity
will take place and you won't accidently use someone elses e-mail
address and you won't also waste bandwith with DNS activity.

--
Charles

Frank F. Matthews November 5th, 2006 11:13 PM

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
On 5 Nov 2006 13:25:36 -0800, wrote:

. The new
federal passport laws go into effect on January 1, 2007.

Hi Everyone,

As a clarification, the new passport law for cruisers was postponed
and does NOT go into effect on January 1, 2007.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

At this point it is really unclear what the need is for a passport. As
you say they have delayed the requirement that returning US citizens

If you fly in it could get touchy at some point.

Ray Goldenberg November 5th, 2006 11:22 PM

First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:35:38 -0500, "Dick G"
wrote:

Yes, Ray, but Eve, the original poster appears to have posted from an ISP in
Poland, which would change all of the rules.

Hi Dick,

It does not change the laws that were recently enacted.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

Joseph Coulter[_1_] November 5th, 2006 11:49 PM

First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in
:

At this point it is really unclear what the need is for a passport. As
you say they have delayed the requirement that returning US citizens
have a passport when returning with the cruise. What the situation is
if you leave the cruise is unclear. I suppose you can always swim the
Rio G and ask them why they think you were ever out of the US.

If you fly in it could get touchy at some point.

At this point it is just silly not to get the passport. the requirement for
flying is a passport as proper documentation. Airlines are fined for not
having all pax with proper documents and will not allow a pax on board
without proper credentials. So one is on a cruise and has an emergency and
needs to come home from say St Martin - without a passport, no plane home.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Brian K[_1_] November 6th, 2006 12:42 AM

First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

On 11/5/2006 6:13 PM Frank F. Matthews plucked Senior Frog's Magic
Twanger and said:

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
[...]

Regardless. Cruise lines will require a passport after December 31,
2006, as will most airlines for international flights. It doesn't make
sense to bank on not needing one for repatriation after travel abroad.
After planning and paying out bucks for a cruise, I would not want to
risk denial of boarding. I say it's better safe than sorry. I already
obtained my digital passport in 2005.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Ray Goldenberg November 6th, 2006 01:15 AM

First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 00:42:52 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

Regardless. Cruise lines will require a passport after December 31,
2006, as will most airlines for international flights.

Hi Brian,

As a clarification, the above is wrong in regards to the cruise lines.
The cruise lines lobbied Congress and got the law to exempt them.
Check with your sister, the knowledgeable travel agent. ;+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

Charles[_1_] November 6th, 2006 01:28 AM

First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

In article et, Brian
K wrote:

Regardless. Cruise lines will require a passport after December 31,
2006,

Which ones? I just did a check of Celebrity, Princess, HAL and Royal
Caribbean. None of them now require it next year for travel to the
Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico if no air travel to
those places is involved. They only recommend a passport.

--
Charles

Dick G[_3_] November 6th, 2006 05:23 PM

First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Dick G
wrote:

Yes, Ray, but Eve, the original poster appears to have posted from an ISP
in
Poland, which would change all of the rules.

That is the e-mail address they show in their "From header" but it was
posted from Verizon Net. Just like your "From header" reads @nosuch.com
and you posted from Comcast you can't go by the From header. By the way
there is a nosuch.com domain so I hope you actually own that e-mail
address there. If not, and I doubt it, you should not use that address.
If you want to use a fake domain to munge your e-mail address use
@.invalid or @.example or @.localhost or @.test because no DNS activity
will take place and you won't accidently use someone elses e-mail
address and you won't also waste bandwith with DNS activity.

--
Charles

Sorry, Charles, I saw the ".pl" in the OP's return address and never looked
beyond that.

BTW, I wasn't trying to hide my identity, just trying to stem the flow of
SPAM into my gmail account.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ