TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Chicago restaurants (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19230)

Martin Timmerman April 21st, 2004 07:07 PM

Chicago restaurants

Bill Pittman wrote:

Is the Berghoff still there & good as ever?

The website (http://www.877chicago.com/dining_map.html) still finds it
in The Loop neighbourhood. It's probably been 10 years since I have been
there - but I do remember it as enjoyable also.

[email protected] April 24th, 2004 07:14 AM

Chicago restaurants

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:07:51 +0000 (UTC), Martin Timmerman
wrote:

Bill Pittman wrote:

Is the Berghoff still there & good as ever?

Only last week I was describing to NY friends that the bar in
Berghoff's was the last one in the city to give up the ban on women.
After all other bars in Chicago had yielded to laws requiring that
they end gender discrimination, the Berghoff held on until the day
before a credible threat to yank theit license was to go into effect.
I think that happened in the late 60s or early 70s.

So they admitted women - but they removed all the chairs from the bar.
The last Ime I was there, maybe 15-20 years ago they still had no
chairs.

Does anyone know iof the chairs are back yet?

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info

arlene April 24th, 2004 04:19 PM

Chicago restaurants

wrote:

Bill Pittman wrote:

[...]

If you google Berghoff you can see the bar for yourself. No, it does
not have chairs at the bar.

Arlene