TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Paris about 100 years ago (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=179181)

Mark Brader January 27th, 2013 11:43 PM

Paris about 100 years ago

I saw this self-explanatory URL posted to rec.travel.europe:

http://curiouseggs.com/extremely-rar...y-1900s-paris/

And, considering the appearance of Greg's name, I thought I'd post it here.
--
Mark Brader "I used to own a mind like a steel trap.
Toronto Perhaps if I'd specified a brass one, it

Mark Brader January 27th, 2013 11:46 PM

Paris about 100 years ago

Mark Brader:
And... I thought I'd post it here.

Oops, wrong "here". Sorry about that, folks. Anyway, thanks for
posting the link, Jim.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is just plain wrong."
-- John Hollingsworth

mikeos January 28th, 2013 02:12 PM

Paris about 100 years ago

On 27/01/2013 23:43, Mark Brader wrote:
I saw this self-explanatory URL posted to rec.travel.europe:

http://curiouseggs.com/extremely-rar...y-1900s-paris/

These are better viewed on this site - with proper captions.

http://www.paris1914.com/

David Hatunen[_2_] January 28th, 2013 05:06 PM

Paris about 100 years ago

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:12:38 +0000, mikeos wrote:

On 27/01/2013 23:43, Mark Brader wrote:
I saw this self-explanatory URL posted to rec.travel.europe:

http://curiouseggs.com/extremely-rar...y-1900s-paris/

These are better viewed on this site - with proper captions.

http://www.paris1914.com/

At first I thoght those photos must be from a hand-coloring process,
but I see that it is a true,if complicated, color process invented by
the Lumiere Bros.

http://www.paris1914.com/p/about.html

Dave Hatunen, Tucson
Free Baja Arizona

mikeos January 28th, 2013 09:04 PM

Paris about 100 years ago

On 28/01/2013 17:06, David Hatunen wrote:

These are better viewed on this site - with proper captions.

http://www.paris1914.com/

At first I thoght those photos must be from a hand-coloring process,
but I see that it is a true,if complicated, color process invented by
the Lumiere Bros.

There are some more fascinating Autochromes he-

http://www.iphotocentral.com/showcas...hp/24/0/62/1/1

David Hatunen[_2_] January 28th, 2013 10:12 PM

Paris about 100 years ago

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:04:34 +0000, mikeos wrote:

On 28/01/2013 17:06, David Hatunen wrote:

These are better viewed on this site - with proper captions.

http://www.paris1914.com/

At first I thoght those photos must be from a hand-coloring process,
but I see that it is a true,if complicated, color process invented by
the Lumiere Bros.

There are some more fascinating Autochromes he-

http://www.iphotocentral.com/showcas...hp/24/0/62/1/1

Ooooo... French postcards...

Dave Hatunen, Tucson
Free Baja Arizona

Jack Campin January 29th, 2013 12:19 AM

Paris about 100 years ago

I saw this self-explanatory URL posted to rec.travel.europe:
http://curiouseggs.com/extremely-rar...y-1900s-paris/

These are better viewed on this site - with proper captions.
http://www.paris1914.com/

I can't get that site to work at all on my machine, I just get a display
of spinning cogwheels. The "curiouseggs" one works fine.

At first I thoght those photos must be from a hand-coloring process,
but I see that it is a true,if complicated, color process invented by
the Lumiere Bros.
http://www.paris1914.com/p/about.html

Probably the same process as used in these early photos of Saint
Petersburg:

http://www.gridenko.com/pg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky

Prokudin-Gorsky's pictures were technically better.

Joe Makowiec January 29th, 2013 12:36 PM

Paris about 100 years ago

On 28 Jan 2013 in rec.travel.europe, Jack Campin wrote:

Probably the same process as used in these early photos of Saint
Petersburg:

http://www.gridenko.com/pg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky

Prokudin-Gorsky's pictures were technically better.

No, it's a completely different process. The Lumière process:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome_Lumi%C3%A8re

Prokudin-Gorsky used three separate plates, possibly exposed
consecutively. The article at the Library of Congress has a bit about
the camera(s) he used:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/making.html

But although Prokudin-Gorsky knew about the Autochrome process, the
Wikipedia article about him says "No Autochromes by Prokudin-Gorsky are
known to survive."

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/