TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Kenya Safari (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=87)

Markjohn September 29th, 2003 07:36 AM

Kenya Safari

I am planning to make a safari for 5 days including Masai Mara.

Does anyone know about a Tour Operator called "Going Places" in
Nairobi.?And is it reliable to your knowledge?

After Safari, a few days days in Dianibeach.

Are Kisite Marine park and Shimba Hills both places of interests?

Thanks

Hans-Georg Michna September 29th, 2003 03:08 PM

Kenya Safari

Markjohn wrote:

I am planning to make a safari for 5 days including Masai Mara.

Does anyone know about a Tour Operator called "Going Places" in
Nairobi.?And is it reliable to your knowledge?

After Safari, a few days days in Dianibeach.

Are Kisite Marine park and Shimba Hills both places of interests?

My first recommendation if you don't have much more time would
be to skip the beach altogether and add the days to the wildlife
safari. If you have overriding reasons to spend time at the
beach, do it first. The reason is that the beach is comparably
boring.

I don't know that tour operator and I don't know Kisite either,
but if you're into snorkeling or diving, maybe that is in fact a
good reason to spend a day or two at the beach.

If you have about a week to spend on safari, a possible
itinerary would be Samburu and Maasai Mara or perhaps Lake
Nakuru and Maasai Mara or all three.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Liz September 29th, 2003 05:31 PM

Kenya Safari

In message
Markjohn wrote:

I am planning to make a safari for 5 days including Masai Mara.

Does anyone know about a Tour Operator called "Going Places" in
Nairobi.?And is it reliable to your knowledge?

No sorry, haven't heard of it and don't recall seeing their vehicles anywhere.

After Safari, a few days days in Dianibeach.

I'm with Hans Georg here.
Cut the beach if you can, expecially as you have such a short time on safari.
If there's a reason for just having five days, *don't* try to cram too much in, or you'll spend all your time travelling rather than seeing the wildlife.

Are Kisite Marine park and Shimba Hills both places of interests?

don't know about Kisite.
shimba Hills is specifically for the Sable Antelope, which are beautiful.
We didn't see much else there.
The lodge is very nice and has visiting bushbaby in the evenings and
Red-bellied Coast Squirrels in the mornings charming for tidbits.
I've got a page about Shimba:
http://www.v-liz.co.uk/safari/shimba.htm

For all that, I wouldn't make it a priority on a first safari.
Better spend more time in Masai Mara and Samburu, after that one of the
lakes or Amboseli. But, I repeat, *don't* try to cram too much in.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles