TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=89727)

The Reid May 19th, 2006 11:28 AM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

the absurdity of your anti English attitudes knows no bounds,
that's at least twice this week you have attached some old
******** that's in your head to the English. You are becoming a
bore.

Awe, don't be like that Mike! How was that anti-English?

how was what?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

The Reid May 19th, 2006 11:28 AM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

If that were to be the case, Australia's in big trouble too, but I
think they realise that.

probably why NZ has the right to become part of Oz if they want
to. Then they could run a pipe from the Milford Sound area. An
underwater water pipe?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

The Reid May 19th, 2006 11:28 AM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

It seems to me its the pollution that's a bigger hurdle than the
fuel.

If we can diversify the types of fuel we use, the pollution issue
shouldn't be such a problem. It's the almost sole use of fossil fuels
that causes the imbalance.

doesn't burning bio diesel has the same problem as mineral oil?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

The Reid May 19th, 2006 11:28 AM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

I do, but not exclusively. I used to think I needed to whiz off
to far away places to climb different hills, but I've come to
realise that to some extent a hill is a hill and the UK ones are
generally day walk affairs, which suits us, and we are not likely
to run out of new ones. If I'm going to sit on a cramped plane
for hours I want interesting culture too.

Then stop off in SE Asia on the way through and have a look around!
The planes usually stop there anyway.

This came up in conversation with the NZ cussies, but i'm not
much atracted to SE Asia. To contradict myself I fancied going
the other way and stopping off on Baffin Island! Dont think
schedules are thick on the ground though :-)
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of bess May 19th, 2006 11:34 AM

The Reid wrote:

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

I do, but not exclusively. I used to think I needed to whiz off
to far away places to climb different hills, but I've come to
realise that to some extent a hill is a hill and the UK ones are
generally day walk affairs, which suits us, and we are not likely
to run out of new ones. If I'm going to sit on a cramped plane
for hours I want interesting culture too.

Then stop off in SE Asia on the way through and have a look around!
The planes usually stop there anyway.

This came up in conversation with the NZ cussies, but i'm not
much atracted to SE Asia.

Have you been to Thailand? Parts of it, and other countries in the area
can be achingly beautiful- even the famous tourist spots, like Phang Nga
Bay.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of bess May 19th, 2006 11:42 AM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On 19 May 2006 02:57:20 -0700, wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 18 May 2006 21:54:57 -0700,
wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:
Gregory Morrow wrote:

[]
Or you could visit Mecca during the Haj and watch the crowds stampede
themselves to death!

Strange as it may seem, millions of over hairy sweaty men crushed
together under the sun isn't exactly my idea of a good time either!

Really? I thought faggots enjoyed that sort of thing?

Isn't it offensive to call someone a faggot unless you are their
friend?

Probably. Isn't "offensive" what this thread is about?

OK, that got a LOL!

Interesting that he focusses on poofs though. Probably picked it up from
his cultured and erudite friends by the pool in Tunis.

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org

The Reid May 19th, 2006 11:45 AM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Following up to Jim Ley

There are a number of technologies that provide oil from algae, which
needs nothing but sun and space, something a large desert country
would have no problem providing.

interesting, of course the Saudis wont have a monopoly on it.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

Tim C. May 19th, 2006 11:54 AM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Following up to The Reid :

doesn't burning bio diesel has the same problem as mineral oil?

Only in "pollution", but plant oil "diesel" doesn't produce as much.
CO2-wise it's neutral - apart from that produced in its manufacture.

or do you mean that silly mix of mineral oil diesel with a little bit of
rape oil to make it "green"? In which case, yes.
--
Tim C.

Jim Ley May 19th, 2006 12:01 PM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:45:06 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Jim Ley

There are a number of technologies that provide oil from algae, which
needs nothing but sun and space, something a large desert country
would have no problem providing.

interesting, of course the Saudis wont have a monopoly on it.

Nope, but with the distribution infrastructure it'd be probably be
pretty well placed if it did make an early push.

Of course a bloke I met in a pub once was convinced we could do it all
in our own back gardens/on the allotment, by putting the algae under a
greenhouse in a "sola roof".

http://www.solaroof.org/wiki/SolaRoof/SolaRoof

Jim.

Jim Ley May 19th, 2006 12:03 PM

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:28:40 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

It seems to me its the pollution that's a bigger hurdle than the
fuel.

If we can diversify the types of fuel we use, the pollution issue
shouldn't be such a problem. It's the almost sole use of fossil fuels
that causes the imbalance.

doesn't burning bio diesel has the same problem as mineral oil?

Nope, in terms of carbon, it's recently removed the carbon from the
atmosphere, so the net over a year or 2 is nil.

In terms of other pollutants, Bio Diesel has a lot fewer contaminants,
it's pretty much pure oil, so as long as burning is complete, you
should just get the basic byproducts, unlike the dirty mineral oil,
that's full of all sorts of other dead animal remains.

Jim.