TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mandazi recipe (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=31572)

Not the Karl Orff July 9th, 2004 04:42 PM

Mandazi recipe

I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have not been able to replicate. It
was more like a deep-fried bread roll than a doughnut (texture was
meatier than a doughnut). Does anyone have a Zanzibari recipe? I have
not been able to find one on the internet.

Dave B July 9th, 2004 04:53 PM

Mandazi recipe

Hey,

I remember talking to you previously about your trip to the serengeti.
You were wanting to catch the migration. Did you get to see the migration?

We were very luck and caught a group of 200 widebeast crossing the
Grumeti. Unfortunately the close by crocs weren't interested in a meal
at that point! :-(

Cheers

Dave B

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have not been able to replicate. It
was more like a deep-fried bread roll than a doughnut (texture was
meatier than a doughnut). Does anyone have a Zanzibari recipe? I have
not been able to find one on the internet.

Not the Karl Orff July 9th, 2004 06:25 PM

Mandazi recipe

In article ,
Dave B wrote:

Hey,

I remember talking to you previously about your trip to the serengeti.
You were wanting to catch the migration. Did you get to see the migration?

Yes, the migration had moved out of the plains and were in the bushland
about.... 10-30 km due west of Seronera (don't have a map to name the
river)

We were very luck and caught a group of 200 widebeast crossing the
Grumeti. Unfortunately the close by crocs weren't interested in a meal
at that point! :-(

The grumeti camp trucks were coming over to the Seronera when we were
there so maybe things weren't too interesting there!

Dave B wrote:

Hey,

I remember talking to you previously about your trip to the serengeti.
You were wanting to catch the migration. Did you get to see the migration?

Yes, the migration had moved out of the plains and were in the bushland
about.... 10-30 km due west of Seronera (don't have a map to name the
river)

We were very luck and caught a group of 200 widebeast crossing the
Grumeti. Unfortunately the close by crocs weren't interested in a meal
at that point! :-(

The grumeti camp trucks were coming over to the Seronera when we were
there so maybe things weren't too interesting there!

Pat Anderson July 9th, 2004 10:15 PM

Mandazi recipe

In message , Not
the Karl Orff writes
I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have not been able to replicate. It
was more like a deep-fried bread roll than a doughnut (texture was
meatier than a doughnut). Does anyone have a Zanzibari recipe? I have
not been able to find one on the internet.

Hakuna matata!
Go to: http://www.congocookbook.com
Just type mandazi into search box and hey presto you will find the
recipe and method there. The Congo cookbook is a mine of information
from all over Africa. Those Mandazis are fattening though!
Let me know what you think!
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Not the Karl Orff July 9th, 2004 11:28 PM

Mandazi recipe

In article ,
Pat Anderson wrote:

In message , Not
the Karl Orff writes
I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have not been able to replicate. It
was more like a deep-fried bread roll than a doughnut (texture was
meatier than a doughnut). Does anyone have a Zanzibari recipe? I have
not been able to find one on the internet.

Hakuna matata!
Go to: http://www.congocookbook.com
Just type mandazi into search box and hey presto you will find the
recipe and method there. The Congo cookbook is a mine of information
from all over Africa. Those Mandazis are fattening though!

Tried that one. Still a bit too puffy. Might be the way I am kneadng
and cooking it though

Not the Karl Orff July 9th, 2004 11:28 PM

Mandazi recipe

In article ,
Pat Anderson wrote:

In message , Not
the Karl Orff writes
I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have not been able to replicate. It
was more like a deep-fried bread roll than a doughnut (texture was
meatier than a doughnut). Does anyone have a Zanzibari recipe? I have
not been able to find one on the internet.

Hakuna matata!
Go to: http://www.congocookbook.com
Just type mandazi into search box and hey presto you will find the
recipe and method there. The Congo cookbook is a mine of information
from all over Africa. Those Mandazis are fattening though!

Tried that one. Still a bit too puffy. Might be the way I am kneadng
and cooking it though

Pat Anderson July 10th, 2004 08:03 AM

Mandazi recipe

In message , Not
the Karl Orff writes
In article ,
Pat Anderson wrote:

In message , Not
the Karl Orff writes
I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have not been able to replicate. It
was more like a deep-fried bread roll than a doughnut (texture was
meatier than a doughnut). Does anyone have a Zanzibari recipe? I have
not been able to find one on the internet.

Hakuna matata!
Go to: http://www.congocookbook.com
Just type mandazi into search box and hey presto you will find the
recipe and method there. The Congo cookbook is a mine of information
from all over Africa. Those Mandazis are fattening though!

Tried that one. Still a bit too puffy. Might be the way I am kneadng
and cooking it though

I doubt you would ever get them like the Zanzibaris or other East
African cooks!
What did you think of the site, I think it`s great- apart from the
recipes there is so much other interesting information?
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Pat Anderson July 10th, 2004 08:03 AM