TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Toronto and the smoking ban (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17190)

j September 17th, 2003 06:14 PM

Toronto and the smoking ban

hi!

can anyone tell me what the current situation is with smoking in Toronto? I
remember a law was passed(or tried to pass) a few years ago, but don't
recall what it covered. e.g. bars, restaurants etc.

thanks for any info
J.

Sandy Stenhouse September 17th, 2003 10:03 PM

Toronto and the smoking ban

Essentially, no smoking in any indoor public places. Smoking permitted only
in designated smoking areas , if the facility is so equipped.

Sandy Stenhouse
Alexander Limousine
Toronto

"j" wrote in message
hi!

can anyone tell me what the current situation is with smoking in Toronto?

remember a law was passed(or tried to pass) a few years ago, but don't
recall what it covered. e.g. bars, restaurants etc.

thanks for any info
J.

Norm Soley September 18th, 2003 03:08 AM

Toronto and the smoking ban

"j" wrote in message ...
hi!

can anyone tell me what the current situation is with smoking in Toronto? I
remember a law was passed(or tried to pass) a few years ago, but don't
recall what it covered. e.g. bars, restaurants etc.

No smoking in restaurants except a small number of them that built separately
ventilated smoking rooms.

Smoking is still permitted in bars. Restaurants with liquor licenses were allowed
to self decide if they wanted to be considered bars or restaurants. If there is a
sign on the door barring entry to anyone under drinking age then it's a bar and
you can smoke.

This changes again soon (IIRC June 2004) when a total ban on indoor public
smoking goes into place. So far no indication that they will go as far as some
places and also ban smoking on ourdoor licensed patios.