TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Kansas City Is Not A Steak (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=45330)

Alan Pollock October 12th, 2004 03:51 AM

Kansas City Is Not A Steak

wrote:
I never quote because hopefully you know what you said without me
reminding you. As far as judging the whole city on one bad experience I
can only say that the Golden Ox was advertised in the Kansas City Travel
Book as the place to go for what Kansas City is known for "Steak". If a
place that is advertised as having the best steak in town is a lousy
place, best bets are that its not that great of a place to buy a steak.
And Carmen you are right, I should have tried the Barbeque as KC is also
known for their barbeque. After all, you can't hardly mess up on
barbeque. Any by the way, I want to say to everyone who posts in this
group. I have never run across a group of more friendly, polite, well
mannered people than I have here.

Not quite syllogistic though, is it?

On the other hand, your sarcasm stands as an impressive attempt. Now all
you've got to do is learn to condescend properly and you'll get away with such
idiotic declarations. Nex

wrote:
[...]

Hatunen October 12th, 2004 05:59 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:26:36 -0400, wrote:

I never quote because hopefully you know what you said without me
reminding you.

To use your own phrase: You're a moron'

You seem to think we can tell jsut by looking who you are
responding to.

As far as judging the whole city on one bad experience I
can only say that the Golden Ox was advertised in the Kansas City Travel
Book as the place to go for what Kansas City is known for "Steak".

A guide book said so?? Who wrote it? Ws it full of ads for
restaurants?

Everyone knows you find the best eating places by asking locals.

If a
place that is advertised as having the best steak in town is a lousy
place, best bets are that its not that great of a place to buy a steak.

I think that's a "duh!"

And Carmen you are right, I should have tried the Barbeque as KC is also
known for their barbeque.

I'm the one who mentioned barbecue.

Calvin Trillin called Arthur Bryant's barbecue the best
restaurant in the world, but I prefer Gates and Son.

After all, you can't hardly mess up on barbeque.

Uh. You're kidding, right?

Any by the way, I want to say to everyone who posts in this
group. I have never run across a group of more friendly, polite, well
mannered people than I have here.

Gee. Thanks.

[...]

Carmen L. Abruzzi October 12th, 2004 07:56 PM

wrote:
I never quote because hopefully you know what you said without me
reminding you.

The point is, no one can tell who you're talking to! It's
like turning your back on someone who's asked you a
question, walking across the room and answering the question
five minutes later as you stare out the window .

wrote:
I never quote because hopefully you know what you said without me
reminding you.

The point is, no one can tell who you're talking to! It's
like turning your back on someone who's asked you a
question, walking across the room and answering the question
five minutes later as you stare out the window .

JamesStep October 12th, 2004 11:15 PM

the place to go for what Kansas City is
known for "Steak".

A guide book said so?? Who wrote it?

I'm not trying to take the side of the original poster here,
as I think his condemnation of Kansas City restaurants
based on one bad experience was silly. However, the
restaurant in question apparently does have a good
reputation, based on a couple reviews I've seen.

For example, Frommers says: "This popular steakhouse
was established in 1949 ... and is still the place for ...
some of the best, yet affordably-priced, steaks in town,
aged and cut on the premises and broiled over a
hickory-charcoal flame..."

It's too bad he had a disappointing experience there, but
that can happen sometimes even at good places.

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-

JamesStep October 12th, 2004 11:15 PM

the place to go for what Kansas City is
known for "Steak".

A guide book said so?? Who wrote it?

I'm not trying to take the side of the original poster here,
as I think his condemnation of Kansas City restaurants
based on one bad experience was silly. However, the
restaurant in question apparently does have a good
reputation, based on a couple reviews I've seen.

For example, Frommers says: "This popular steakhouse
was established in 1949 ... and is still the place for ...
some of the best, yet affordably-priced, steaks in town,
aged and cut on the premises and broiled over a
hickory-charcoal flame..."

It's too bad he had a disappointing experience there, but
that can happen sometimes even at good places.

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-

[email protected] October 13th, 2004 01:35 AM

Kansas City Is Not A Steak

Group: rec.travel.usa-canada Date: Tue, Oct 12, 2004, 10:15pm (EDT+4)
From: OSPAM (JamesStep)
the place to go for what Kansas City is
known for "Steak".
A guide book said so?? Who wrote it?
I'm not trying to take the side of the original poster here, as I think
his condemnation of Kansas City restaurants based on one bad experience
was silly.

Ok, so I maybe went a little far by making this statement. Scottdar

However, the restaurant in question apparently does have a good
reputation, based on a couple reviews I've seen.
For example, Frommers says: "This popular steakhouse was established in
1949 ... and is still the place for ... some of the best, yet
affordably-priced, steaks in town, aged and cut on the premises and
broiled over a hickory-charcoal flame..."

Unfortunately, I learned from a patron that the restaurant had changed
owners many times over. Scottdar

It's too bad he had a disappointing experience there, but that can
happen sometimes even at good places.

I just wouldn't have thought that people could be so outright mean on a
comment I make. You just expect people to be a little nicer. Scottdar