TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   gps in costa rica (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=174798)

Jeff Lanam January 8th, 2012 12:40 AM

gps in costa rica

On 12/26/2011 12:42 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 07:28:59 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I'm in Costa Rica on vacation and didn't realize that my Garmin
doesn't work here....

Does it actually not work, or do you simply not have the necessary maps?

AFAIK, all commercial GPSs function everywhere on the planet.

-- Larry

From looking at the Garmin site, it doesn't appear that their City
Navigator series covers Costa Rica. Their WorldMap product probably
does, but it's only available on CD-ROM; it can't be downloaded.
It's not clear from the site how much detail there is for Central America.

[email protected] January 9th, 2012 12:42 AM

gps in costa rica

wrote:

I'm in Costa Rica on vacation and didn't realize that my Garmin
doesn't work here....

Does it actually not work, or do you simply not have the necessary maps?

AFAIK, all commercial GPSs function everywhere on the planet.

From looking at the Garmin site, it doesn't appear that their City
Navigator series covers Costa Rica. Their WorldMap product probably
does, but it's only available on CD-ROM; it can't be downloaded.
It's not clear from the site how much detail there is for Central America.

Which has nothing to do with the actual functioning of the GPS. Caribbean and
Central and South American maps are available for Garvin GPS's from sources
other than Garvin thermselves.

Google is your friend.

-- Larry