TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Heathrow Hotels? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=13390)

Ronald Hands March 3rd, 2004 07:49 PM

Heathrow Hotels?

We've just discovered that our trip through Heathrow on May 1 is
going to involve a six-hour layover -- after an overnight flight --
before continuing on to Athens.
Our travel agent suggested, probably because of our advanced age,
that we might want to book into a hotel for a few hours. Are there
any hotels right in the airport at Heathrow, or adjacent, similar to
the Hilton at the Rome airport?
Or any others close by anyone would care to recommend?
--
-- Ron
Remove NOSPAM to reply directly

David Bennetts March 3rd, 2004 10:29 PM

Heathrow Hotels?

"Ronald Hands" wrote in message
We've just discovered that our trip through Heathrow on May 1 is
going to involve a six-hour layover -- after an overnight flight --
before continuing on to Athens.
Our travel agent suggested, probably because of our advanced age,
that we might want to book into a hotel for a few hours. Are there
any hotels right in the airport at Heathrow, or adjacent, similar to
the Hilton at the Rome airport?
Or any others close by anyone would care to recommend?
--
-- Ron
Remove NOSPAM to reply directly

You would really have to question whether it would be worth the effort and
cost. Having to grab shuttles and all the extra walking about would tire
you further.

A six hour layover would only equate to at best about a three hour stop in a
hotel, after you go through customs, immigration, a shuttle bus, check in
and check out procedures at the hotel, then have to check in well in advance
of your ongoing flight to Athens. If your plane is late arriving (you often
do get stacked coming into Heathrow because it's so congested) then you've
even less time.

My advice would be to just find a seat in a quiet corner of the airport
lounge and rest awhile.

Regards

David Bennetts

Keith Willshaw March 4th, 2004 10:35 AM

Heathrow Hotels?

"Ronald Hands" wrote in message
We've just discovered that our trip through Heathrow on May 1 is
going to involve a six-hour layover -- after an overnight flight --
before continuing on to Athens.
Our travel agent suggested, probably because of our advanced age,
that we might want to book into a hotel for a few hours. Are there
any hotels right in the airport at Heathrow, or adjacent, similar to
the Hilton at the Rome airport?
Or any others close by anyone would care to recommend?

There are no hotels actually in the airport terminal and 6 hours
isnt actually very long. To use a hotel you'd have to go through
the UK entrance formalities and then allow time to check back in
through security

A better option may be to pay to use one of the private lounges
at Heathrow. The Servisair lounge can be used for a fee of
around £16 per person

http://www.executivelounges.com/

Keith

Alan Harrison March 4th, 2004 11:08 PM

Heathrow Hotels?

"Ronald Hands" wrote in message
We've just discovered that our trip through Heathrow on May 1 is
going to involve a six-hour layover -- after an overnight flight --
before continuing on to Athens.
Our travel agent suggested, probably because of our advanced age,
that we might want to book into a hotel for a few hours. Are there
any hotels right in the airport at Heathrow, or adjacent, similar to
the Hilton at the Rome airport?
Or any others close by anyone would care to recommend?

About eighteen million hotels belonging to most of the major chains around
the airport. Alternatively, get the U3 bus to Harmondworth, and have a few
pints in the pub by the church while you wait.

Alan Harrison

Traveller March 24th, 2004 04:21 PM

Heathrow Hotels?

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

A better option may be to pay to use one of the private lounges
at Heathrow. The Servisair lounge can be used for a fee of
around £16 per person

http://www.executivelounges.com/

I'd second this advice. The lounges are, by and large, relatively
comfortable, have complimentary bars if you like to have a drink or ten
before your flight (I know I do), have smoking areas (increasingly rare at
UK airports), and flight information screens (they sometimes also call your
flight - ask when you arrive). There are numerous websites where you can
book your lounge access - also see www.baa.co.uk/heathrow as BAA Advance
have reasonable prices for the lounges.

If you travel frequently, you may want to consider getting a Priority Pass
card - I have one and it gets me into most lounges in most airports,
regardless of the airline or class of service I am travelling - see
www.prioritypass.com . I'm not associated with them etc.etc.. just think
it's a good scheme.